Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How was this effect created?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop gurus!

A customer has asked me to reproduce some artwork for them. The lettering has a particular effect (or maybe even combination of effects) But I just cannot get near it. Do any of you guys recognise any of the effects please?Hi Res GCL Logo.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The letters appear to have with a grain effect, and bevel on that light blue color they have, and a tiny drop shadow(zoom in will show you more detail). I would copy the letter to just tackle the stroke behind it and do gradient overlay. working on the FX section would allow you for dynamic application of effect which means you can adjust as you compare and zoom in back and forth to get it on target. If its a logo, why not make it in illustrator?

But that is jut my take on it. i am sure others will have a different way to approach this. more than one road to Rome.

Are you looking for step by step instructions of just a brief overview of what is involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan and thank you for taking the time to reply with your thoughts.

Creating the lettering shapes is easy enough. It's the filters / plugins that were used to create the texture effects that I need to identify and use again to create different words in the exact same style. I'm fairly certain that the original creator simply used some filters to create the textures....I just cannot fathom which ones!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just mentioned them all.. grain effect (Filter>filter gallery, film grain), go to the FX on the layer panel and apply a bevel, little drop shadow. duplicate the layer, do the stroke with a overlay gradient.

Do you need step by step instructions with screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jonathan.....I will give that a go and report back - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the effect will get you closer faster.. use that one here:

adobe photoshop - How to create a noise texture like this website's - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

take your time and have both of the graphics side by side on a split screen on photoshop. so you can really see the effects, where you lights come from and the intensity of your bevel

No apology. again. i am sure other will have a different way they would tackle the issue and you might like their way better.  its always good to look at the way different people do things and you find the one you like. I like dinamic effects so everything is super editable all the time since clients always change their mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not exactly the same, but I quickly made the attached with just text and layer effects.

1. Bevel and Emboss to give shape to the letter

2. Inner glow with the noise turned up

3. An outside stroke using a gradient

4. On a duplicate text layer (so that it worked with the stroke) - an outer glow - again with the noise turned up

Finally I put those two text layers into a smart object. Duplicated it and moved it - adding a slight drop shadow to the upper version.

Like I said - not exactly the same but hopefully enough to get you started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is why i think the stroke needs to go on a different layer since the stroke does not get the grain effect on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to access the 'Filter Gallery' it's greyed out....I've tried 8 Bit mode....RGB mode...none seem to enable the Filter Gallery.

Thank you so much Davescm but the graphic has like a see through property to them which gives the effect of some shape diffraction going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

look at my screenshots below, you are going to want easy on the noise, zoom in and out and compare to the graphic you are trying to match, next follow davescm​ instructions but don't do the stroke .. duplicate the layer, and make the stroke effects behind the layer Dave and i have you working on now.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.54.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.54.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.55.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines