Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place from Excel Spreadsheet not showing formatted font

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, some help please.

I am using Indesign CC and Excel (Office 365 Business)

I have a spreadsheet saved as an xlxs file. I am placing cells from the spreadsheet which have a formula that shows results as a wingding (arrows showing increases or decreases). The wingdings font is coloured depending on the direction of the arrow. (I didn't create the spreadsheet but it looks like the formula compares two numbers, then works out how different they are...ie: if slightly down between a certain percentage up the arrow is diagonal and light green, if it's up by more than 100%, (for example) the arrow points down and is dark green. It's it's slightly up, the arrow is diagonal pointing down and dark red and more than 100% up, it's red.

and so on.

When I am placing the cell range into InDesign, everything is fine except for the font colour. The font colour of course is coming from the results of the formula.

I have tried different formats for the cells, ie: text, special, customise, general etc.

I've tried placing as a formatted table, unformatted table.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else had a similar issue a while back. I suggested saving the Excel file as an XLS and it cleared the issue up.

My guess is it's a bug of some type. If saving as XLS does fix it, please report it as a bug here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that doesn't appear to work for me. I think it's the formula as it also chooses the colour but unsure why it won't show the results of that formula in InDesign.

I've had to revert to changing the colour of each cell, which is a bit time consuming. Can't believe that xlxs has been around for so long and InDesign haven't updated the software to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or report it to the the new Bug Report form where you can track it.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But try this first:

File > place > Shift + Open (or check/tick Show Import Options)

In the Import Options > Formatting > choose Formatted Table

Pretty sure this was the default in older versions...but now the default is Unformatted table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines