• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the background transparent behind a selection I want to paste in another image?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fairly new to Photoshop and AI. I am trying to use the quick selection tool to select a figure in one Photoshop file and paste it onto a landscape in another open file in Photoshop and/or AI. How do I make the rectangle behind the selected image transparent, so only the figure will show up against the landscape in the other file? Is there a way to make this the default for future cut and paste or copy and paste selections? Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just select on object, area you want with Quick Selection Tool. If you needyou can easily adjust/refine selection using Select&Mask Command (refine Edge in previous version PS).

When you are happy with your selection prec Keyboard Shortcut - CTRL+J / CMD+ J and go to Layers Panel (to see Layers you can precc F7 key on your Keyboard). Finally Clik to close Eye icon seen  on left your Background Layer to turn it off.

Then seave your image as png file

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of CTRL + J command you can use Move  Tool (V) and just drag selection into antoher document.

Be carefull with dragging it's a little be tricky

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The selected area will be copy/pasted into your second picture with the correct transparency. You need however to to a good and precise work with the selection, otherwise the result will not be good. So pasting is not the problem, but creating a correct selection is, depending on the picture.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines