• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so basically this is what happened, i have a worker from a freelancer website creating me a plain text video. The text appears on the screen. The way it appears is via a typing effect. Now he has sent to me the final version of the finished video and i noticed that the speed of typing varies on some words, not all but some so the majority of the text is fine in terms of the typing animation that occurs but i noticed on some occasion about 5 words in the whole video of 100 words or so that they seem to look like the animation occurs at a slower speed or rate in terms of the type so the letters look like they are appear on the screen slower.

Now i asked the coder to sort this out and told him that i wanted one consistent speed and that i didn't want those words to slow down his reply was the following:-

We have control over speed with regards to keyframes as I mentioned above. Beyond that no. After effects does not make different speeds, it sets a default speed which we then alters by moving the keyframes

the closer the keyframes are to each other the faster the effect, the farther they are the slower the effect

Thing is when u ask me to alter the speed at a point, I need to take into consideration altering the speed of everything before and after to match, cos I alter according to what I feel is best speed but we are not the same person. So every alteration that u put me through is constant work & rework, There seems to be no end cos u cant be satisfied & I can never close this project. That's basically what it's come down to

Everything & everyone has limitations including people & software. I can only fix what I can, not everything that you think you need just because you don't have an understanding o how the process works.

So basically im here to pick the brains of one of you guys to let me know does this guys know whats he is talking about and is he right or is there a solution to this? I mean when you play computer games the typing effect of the text is consistent on all words from what i can see is that creative process not offered in after effects? Is it the case that the default typing animation built into after effects has limitations? Could this be created as stand alone by someone more well equipped to fix this? Its only 5 words that look slower (confused)

Thanks so much for ur help guys awesome forum here to!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

I looked at your project.  The very simple way to fix it is to convert all animation keyframes to Linear.  They were all Eased.

Here is a downloadable project that has that done.

Dropbox - text screens (converted).aep

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have constant speed of typing and you can have changing speed. Any variation is possible. if you want, you can show us the problem as you see it and we can offer solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers whats the easiest way if i send the video to show you what i mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload it to any cloud service or sharing platform and post the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go sir so all ive done is upload the video you can watch it for yourself lets see if you can see it yourself or not so i know im not the only one going crazy. Just watch see if any words stick out as different to you and let me know final 10% speedup 2s pause.mp4 - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. indeed there are speed variations and that is distracting. you're not crazy!

my advice is tell your after effects guy to work in index units and not percentage to make sure the speed is constant. and of course with no easying of the keyframes. I am not sure but it looks like easing was applied.

if you can have access to the Ae project we can dissect it further...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys thanks so much for your feedback sorry it took me a while to reply i had to show this to the worker who was doing the work, guess what after i showed him this thread he stopped replying to my messages lol.

So i've got the after effects files whats the easiest way for me to get it uploaded or sent to any of you guys to help me out and fix this for me please?

Thanks guys so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i've got the after effects files whats the easiest way for me to get it uploaded or sent to any of you guys to help me out and fix this for me please?

Post your source files to Dropbox or Google Drive to share it with the kind folks here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry to bug you guys did anyone get a chance to look at this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the answer you got here by Walter Soyka is very good CreativeCOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at your project.  The very simple way to fix it is to convert all animation keyframes to Linear.  They were all Eased.

Here is a downloadable project that has that done.

Dropbox - text screens (converted).aep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone that can do it for me and post it back up here for me? Id really appreciate the help as i am not very well versed in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can anyone help me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the layer you are having problems with. Press the U key twice to reveal all of the modified properties of that layer. You should see keyframes and/or expressions as well as any other changes that have been made to the layer. Take a close look at the properties which have keyframes and if the name of the property makes sense start sliding the keyframes around in the timeline and editing the values to try and figure out what they are doing. If a property does not make sense search for that property and the effect name using the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE so you can figure out what is going on. AE is a very complicated program and I have not met anyone in more than 20 years that could figure it out in a couple of hours on their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rup,

Appears that it was done for you in this post: Re: Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?

Can you please mark that one as the correct one?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

This is not my project am not even sure what i was supposed to be looking at in this project that was uploaded? Can anybody else help me resolve this please because i am not very good at after effects?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a copy of your project file with the adjustment as described.  Are you not able to render it yourself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi sorry Andrew i did not see this? Also i do not know much about after effects if you could let me know what i need to do?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Roei above.  The rate of typing has had an Ease function applied in some places.  Easing the start of a line makes the rate of typing start slower and increase as it progresses.  Likewise, easing at the end means the rate slows down towards the end of the line.

If you want a constant rate of typing, all the keyframes should be Linear, not Eased.  That's all you need to tell the designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines