• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

faded color photo from 1946 some suggestions needed

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did several internet searches on photoshop and searched through the FAQ's before posting this, trying different combinations but found these adjustments helped some.  I used the photo filter to bring down the yellow cast.  I used a level adjustment and moved the Red, Blue, & Green sliders..  I've tried levels with multiply but does not improve on the fading.   I used a color balance adjustment moving the sliders through shadows, highlights, and mid tones.  I'm using a mask on the adjustments.   The section that is faded was exposed in a frame while the rest of the image was covered by the mat.   But I don't feel like I'm really improving the photo that well.  I can add a skin tone from the boy's arm and clone in the clothing colors.  The worst part is this photo was taken in direct sunlight.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Rose

Here is the original  image

garywebcopy.jpg

gary mom copy 2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the base image and work on a copy that will be masked into the original. Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlights and bring up the highlight value to attempt to rescue some facial detail. Further work will of course be required to even out tones, however the all important facial detail is critical to recover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I added a black and white adjustment and focussed on matching the grayscale in the light rectangle  as best I could to the area outside the rectangle.

I then duplicated the original and set it to blend mode color - and brushed  colour from the bottom of the picture into the rectangle.

Finally a little cloning to remove the edge.

Far from perfect but it may give you some ideas

Good luck

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One adjustment that is often overlooked is Image  > Adjustments > Shadows/Highlights.  It does not have its' own Adjustment layer, so the changes are permanent or "destructive". Still it does a nice job. I eyeballed this one moving the colors away from the Highlights and towards the Shadows/Midtones, but there is that streak across the image.

It's a "quick and dirty" adjustment on a laptop screen, so those of you with better displays can see what you can do.

pastedImage_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7 & Dave, thanks for tips.

Dave  I see that you did a curve adjustment too, can tell me what part of the image you used it on?     I'm still playing around trying to come up with what both of you did - been awhile since I done any photo restoration - will have to get the cobwebs swept away.

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rose

I used the contrast layer to try and match the grayscale of the faded rectangle with the none faded section. Although it was one curve I used a soft brush on the mask so that it affected areas differently. Don't be fooled by the white on the edge of the mask. The layer was also clipped to the layer below so the good areas were not affected.

This greyscale match was done before reintroducing colour with the top layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines