• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting interactive buttons to epub

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created several interactive buttons using multi state buttons that all worked perfectly when previewed. When I went to export the document, the buttons did not work on the exported epub document. The pictures/videos that were set up in the multi state buttons were on separate pages once exported and there original button no longer worked.

I use a Mac and thought that may be the issue, but when I opened the document on a Windows laptop it did the same thing. What can I do to make the button work when exported?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is an interactive button? What is multi state button?

Please explain what doesn't work mean?

Additional info:

What version of InDesign? What EPUB export settings are you using? What EPUB reader are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheif , emmah is right
no matter what is an interactive button . nothing works after exporting an EPUP . even a simple button that plays a video .

not even in fix-layout epub . and there is no notable export settings i want to mention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you clearly state what this issues are as Bob Levine – who is an expert on this matter – has requested, you won't get any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok maybe you're right

the problem is :
when you create a button in adobe indesign cc 2017 and add an action to this button . for example on release it plays a video . in preview it works properly . it mean releasing the button plays the video . but when you export it as fix-layout epub 3 the button doesn't work . it means when you click on botton and release it nothing happens . but the button is clickable . i try it on readers like readium,edge,calibre .

and when you open the epub in calibre editor you can see there is no code in the button for playing the video .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the button is set to "on tap or release" with a play action, it most certainly should be working. What format is the video? Is the video placed on the same spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

video format is mp4 . and its in the same spread . and its working in media preview . but not when you export it to epub and open it in an epub reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would probably be helpful to Bob if you confirmed which ePub readers and devices you've tested it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on windows 10 . with readers like : calibre,edge,readium .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Publish Online to test it. If it works there, I would tend to blame the reader apps.

Do you have an iPad or Mac that you can test it on with iBooks? If not, if you post the file, I can check it here for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't have none of them unfortunately . here's my source file and epub file uploaded on jumpshare :

http://jmp.sh/UsNv0QM

http://jmp.sh/kOsFfYk

i'll appreciate that if you you could take a look at them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The epub works fine in iBooks. The INDD has all kinds of missing links and no buttons I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for testing . yes missing links are for the video you can see in the epub . and the button is blue and place at the left side of the video .
it works fine in ibooks ? you mean you can click on the blue button and play the video ?
maybe the problem is only in windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a reader issue. The epub is fine in iBooks.

But no, there’s no buttons in the InDesign file you linked to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by the way thanks alot . it was a great help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tested it on our company reader(iknito) on android . it works fine . probably we should blame windows readers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines