• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Font Rendering Changes While Working (Problem)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone else has this problem where the font rendering changes, all of a sudden, and while you're working? Here's an image to illustrate the problem:

Screenshot 2017-08-21 17.32.09.png

As you can probably guess, the font family is the same (happens with probably all my fonts, haven't tested ALL, maybe it's file-type related?), as is the weight, size, line-height, everything is the same. I'm also not exactly a newbie with PS and tried a lot of techniques that might affect. The first thing was obviously the anti-aliasing tool. Opening, closing the file, the software, etc.

This happens, mostly, after applying a transformation on the text (cmd+T). After that, i cannot switch back to the same rendering. Doesn't happen consistently, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

There is also a side trouble. After transformations, the font size and line-height changes randomly: ex, from 16pt to 16.12pt. This is something that happens all the time and, maybe, it is related to that problem.

Any help or insights on how to solve this would be appreciated.

I'm on a macOS Sierra 10.12.5 and the absolute last version of PS at this time of writing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

I don't have any solution for this. I just avoid transforming any folder that might contain a text layer with Mac LCD rendering, that's my temporary solution

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You failed to mention anything about you document size and resolution.   If you want good quality the document needs to have the number of pixels required for a high resolution high quality image.    Text use vector graphic however you still need pixels a lot of pixels for high quality.  Most likely you need more pixels for the quality you want to have.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the quality of the font rendering depends on the resolution of your image...

What's the resolution of your canvas? 72DPI? 300 DPI?

If it is poor, also the rendering could be poor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, for precise text rendering settings, please give a look at this:

Type rendering in Photoshop CC | Adobe Photoshop CC tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working at 72dpi, it has nothing to do with resolution. I know the image is pixelated, it's on purpose so you can see the difference.

See the difference from the first two lines compared to the checkmark phrases? The font is thinner due to an unknown bug occurring during the process i've described above. See in video:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the text is poor  because of the number of pixels Photoshop has to work with and the move you made most likely did not align with the the pixels grid so the anti-alias Photoshop did  does not as good as the other poor text.

On displays resolution means nothing it is not used displays display the pixel  printing it does matter  DPI resolution is pixels size pxsel density 72 DPI is a low resolution image will not be as smooth and sharp as a highet pixel pixels are to big.  You need smaller and many more pixels.  Your using a large font size a thin sharp font with too few pixels. Once again It is all about resolution.

It also looks like you are not using text layers and you scaled up a small raster image up in size.  Here is how it look using text layer at 72 DIP and 300DPI rember Displaye do not use image DPI settings the display pixels with their size pixels.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, JJmack, but it has nothing to do with that, sorry. I need to keep working on 72dpi as I'm developing interfaces for screens.

However, I might have narrowed down the problem. This only happens if:

• If I'm trying to Transform>Move folders with text blocks inside mixed with other elements (pasted vectors);
  • And if I have anti-aliasing set to Mac or Mac LCD.

It does not happen when I'm using the old anti-aliasing methods. This surely seems like a bug, as this Mac / Mac LCD thing is new... Not sure...

Let me know if you find this problem too. Thanks for the help in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use text layers not upsized rasterized text. Paste pastes pixels not vector graphics Drag in TEXT Layers.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use upsized and rasterized text layers, so no problem there. See the video i uploaded; you can see it is showing text layers, not raster layers.

As you can read above, the problem is most likely related with the new anti-aliasing modes: Mac and Mac LCD (talking about CC 2017). But clearly, there's a bug with these new aliasing engines. If the texts are transformed together with other objects, such as Illustrator vectors packed as Smart Objects, the font will re-render into another.

Can someone else replicate this problem in their computers? This way we'd be sure it's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey pedrofernandes-sm,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm encountering something similar where a font layer from an older file appears much different than a font layer in a new file.

Everything about the following text layer are identical. Same font, color, rendering style. There's no "faux bold" applied or anything else. The only difference is the one on the left was created in a file about 2 months ago and the one on the right is from a new file.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.01.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have any solution for this. I just avoid transforming any folder that might contain a text layer with Mac LCD rendering, that's my temporary solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of layer are the layers are the layer you pasted in?. Have you ever scaled them?  Are they Text layers? Are they shape layers?

Your video shows your moving  and scaling three layer groups each has two layers one being a text layer the other layer above the text layer. I can not tell much about theos layers the whole width of the layers palette is not even in the video. You video does not show where your problem is which is most likely poor raster layers. I nam noe tell what is what in you video.

Upload your PSD file to some web file sharing site and post   a link to it here so we can have a look at it..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines