• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed Images Graying Out/Changing Opacity

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, I started experiencing what I think is a bug. This does not happen 100% of the time, but often when placing an image (or replacing) the image will show as if it's opacity has been lowered to around 20%. However, selecting it does not show any transparency changes. The problem is usually resolved by either moving the image around a bunch in the bounding box until it appears correctly, or deleting all together and replacing the image in a new bounding box. It's an odd issue that I can't repeat on command. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

InDesign 12.1.0.56

MacOS 10.12.6

GPU is supported

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.05.39 PM.png

Looks like it's a display issue as the PDF does not show any transparency (and the InDesign palette says 100%)

InDesign placed image showing as faded

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 11.58.47 AM.png

PDF looks fine

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.07.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen in all documents (and new ones) across the board? I know you said not 100% of the time, but possibly in old docs as well as new? Are there other items on the page possibly affecting the transparency of your images? My other suggestion might be to turn off the GPU performance option in Prefs and see if you still get that behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experimented with old files, new files, files with other images, files with just a single image. Seems to be repeatable across the board. But can't put my finger on exact circumstances. I could try turning off GPU Performance but as far as I know my machine should be able to handle it. I will turn it off and see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is happening to me too. I came here to find an answer.

When I move or resize an imagine within it's bounding box using the Direct Select (A) tool, the image "grays out" or becomes lighter. It does look like an opacity thing. It happens across the board on several documents - not all the time with every image, but frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi brians / matt.steinruck,

As per your query linked picture color gets lighter after sometime.

In Addition to Erica's suggestion of turning off GPU also please try how it works with " High Quality " display performance.

dislay performance.png

Please do share your observations.

Also share your feedback here on our Adobe InDesign Feedback form

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggling between Typical Display and High-Quality doesn't seem to affect it. The only way I can get the issue to go away when it pops up is to just to just move the image around randomly on the page or within it's bounding box. Sometimes this makes the issue disappear, other times it does not and I have to delete the image and replace it. Also like @matt.steinruck said, it appears to be an opacity bug. But when the issue pops up, the image opacity is 100%–both the object and fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi brians ,

Thanks for raising this issue. Have you submitted this to our User Voice page Adobe InDesign Feedback ?

This is the best way of communicating to the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get this resolved? Did turning off the GPU perf option work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it did not. The only workaround I have figured out is that if the bug occurs, I can "Undo" and it reverts back to 100% opacity.

Just to reiterate, the image only appears to have been reduced in opacity. But viewing the opacity in the Effects tab shows 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please post a screenshot showing the error. It is difficult to suggest a possible solution without enough information.

what version on Indesign are you using?

Which OS are you using?

Does your machine has a gpu supported by InDesign? If yes then which one?

On which InDesign was the document created?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 12.1.0.56

MacOS 10.12.6

GPU is supported

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.05.39 PM.png

Looks like it's a display issue as the PDF does not show any transparency (and the InDesign palette says 100%)

InDesign placed image showing as faded

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 11.58.47 AM.png

PDF looks fine

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.07.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was randomly happening to me too. If you go to Edit>Transparency Blend Space select Document RGB. The Document CMYK selection will fade the images/text boxes when it enters the pasteboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, I know this is an old thread - but I just had this happen to me for a group of supplied images being placed in an INDD created in InDesign 2024 running on Mac OS Sonoma. After trying all of the mentioned solutions in this thread I did what I should have done to begin with: try placing a known image from a different source! Sure enough, that image placed perfectly with no opacity/ghosting issues. I ended up having to batch-process the entire group of supplied images with a new embedded profile and all is well. Lesson learned (again) the hard way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution that worked for you. I am sure it will help other community members. I also found this discussion to have some great suggestions that you can refer to. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines