• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing Photographs Taken with 360 Panorama Camera (Virtual Reality style)

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello To All My Fellow Nerds,

I'm an avid photoshop user, and I'm fairly proficient at editing.

I have an LG360 Camera and I've been taking 360 Panorama pictures with it. I'm able to edit them as flat images and maintain the proper metadata so that when I upload them they pop in VR mode.

However, it's very cumbersome to try and apply edits over the edges of the photo so that I erase the stitching lines produced by my camera when it auto stiches the images.

What is the best tutorial you have found about how to apply advanced editing to images in 3D?

I am about to watch the fabulous Deke McClelland's. I'm a huge fan of his work.

But the course is many hours long and for some reason my brain does not compute the 3d workspace as easily as it does regular 2d photoshop (as if that wasnt complicated enough). I'm a simpleton, merely relentless.

I'm looking for some videos of people editing 360 images and fixing the "edges"

Taylor J McBride

Cynical Saints Publishing

[link removed by moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to 360 Spherical Panorama projections the are  no edges.  However as flat projection image there is a tremendous amount of distortion in the flat projection image outer bounds. The old  Panorama Tool provided a Photoshop plug-in that you could use to rotate the projection so the area you want to work on could be centered and not distorted so you could work on it.  I do not know what is available these days for Photoshop.  I would think Panorama Plug-in will not work in Photoshop CC  Adobe has made many changes in the Plug-in support.  Old Plug-ins no longer work in Photoshop CC.  There are compatibility issues between versions of Photoshop.  Panoram Tools plug-in may work in a CS6 32bit installation.

No I just tried to install Panorama tools into a 23bit CS  6 installation.  While the plug-ins load the panning controls plug-in does not work I can not pan a 360 spherical Pano

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Photoshop CC 2017 has a 3D workspace, and I'm sure there is some way to take the flat image and covert it into a 3d mesh and then apply adjustments to the mesh?

Taylor McBride

[Personal info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how your 360 panorama is projected you can try this:

1. With your image open and the image layer selected - go to 3D - New Mesh From Layer - Mesh Preset - Spherical panorama

2. In the 3D panel click on the Spherical Panorama

3. Switch to the brush tool

4. In the properties panel select the brush symbol and change paint system to projection

You can now paint directly on the projected image. The clone stamp tool also works in the same projection for covering seams

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the above post are good ideas. I'm not sure how well this will work, but you can also use the offset filter. That will allow you to shift the edges of the file, so you can retouch them. Just remember how much you offset the file, so you can reset it when you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very good point Chuck and exactly how to make seamless textures

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the offset will give you all the PS tools, where as working in 3D, your options might be limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes offset was used with Panorana Tools plug-in so you could work  on the layers stitching you could work on the layers mask to make the stitches as seamless as possible

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an old PSD that I stitched 5 fisheye image into a Spherical panorama using Photoshop and panorama tools years ago.  So I thought I would give what you wrote a try.  I merged the  layers and create a 3D  Spherical panorama Layer.  Photoshop displays a highly scale up image  that I can pan around and paint on.  The spot healing brush does not work well on the displayed image I do not feel I could touch up poorts seams. And would not know how to get the 3d layer out of photoshop as a 2D Spherical panorama.  I do not know how toe use Photoshop 3d feature.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John

If your camera is zoomed in to far you can use the camera zoom (click on current view in properties  widen the Field of view (FOV) to zoom out.

I am puzzled over the spot healing brush, as it works well here - provided the paint system is set to projection.

To get a flat projection - just go to Spherical Panorama Texture and click on Diffuse > Edit texture. It will open as a 2D psb file which you can paint on further and save.  In fact , if you tile the windows you can see both the 2D projection and the 3D spherical at the same time while you paint/adjust it. This way you can add adjustment layers etc

If you want that 2D projection back out then you can also "save as" to save that 2D psb view as a new document  file.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines