• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern Stamp Tool strangeness

Advisor ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Pattern Stamp Tool (PST) from time to clone paint from photographs. I make a pattern from a whole layer image and paint from it, using the PST as a brush.  I set the tool to Aligned and Impressionist modes.  An oddity which I noticed some time ago but failed to investigate, cropped up again today working on a new picture.  That is, the top edge  - about a couple of mm - is shaved off the top and added to the bottom of the image.  So, I am painting from a pattern made from a (layer) image that has been shifted up a little.  You can see the effect that appears after painting from the pattern below:

pstabove.jpg

(the top of the image)

pstbelow.jpg

(the bottom of the image)

You can see a thin band of sky appearing along the bottom of the image.

It is not the end of the world, but I am curious as to why it happens and if there is a simple way to ensure that pattern and derived image are all square.  I wondered if perhaps it is something to do with the Impressionist setting. You can see that "Aligned" is already selected.  Here are my tool bar settings:

pstsettings.jpg

Grateful for any advice.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Hi David

I can get this to happen if I brush with the centre of the brush just off the canvas. It looks like it then treats the brush centre as a new "tile" of the image so if I brush along the top I am using the bottom of the new tile.

See below which is taken from an image with a dark top edge and light bottom edge

Brush centre just inside the image - no impact

Moving the brush centre just off the canvas and I pick up the image from the bottom

So the answer appears to be keep the brush centre just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

I can get this to happen if I brush with the centre of the brush just off the canvas. It looks like it then treats the brush centre as a new "tile" of the image so if I brush along the top I am using the bottom of the new tile.

See below which is taken from an image with a dark top edge and light bottom edge

Brush centre just inside the image - no impact

Moving the brush centre just off the canvas and I pick up the image from the bottom

So the answer appears to be keep the brush centre just inside the image.

Edit to add : It only happens with the Impressionist setting checked

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave - much obliged.  Thanks very much. If I select the layer I am painting into would that stop the "overbrush"?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Surprisingly, to me anyway, I tried "select all" on the layer to be painted earlier - fully expecting that to work. It didn't

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I just tried it too and the brushed pattern still spills.  Hmm..

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines