• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking on Rulers to drag guides opens Preferences in Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I click on the rulers to drag a guide onto a document, Photoshop's preferences open up. I'm not sure if it's the app or my mouse. Has anyone ever come across this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Pete Gregory

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Hi, pedro.guererro​ - it appears to be a mouse issue. Reason I say that is that when you DOUBLE click on a ruler, it opens the Preferences panel, but a single click shouldn't do anything. Does it happen when you "click/drag" in one move? If so, your mouse is most certainly doing an undetectable bounce.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the mouse work correctly outside Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem in Illustrator CC I'm noticing too. I will drag a guide onto the document and it will disappear. If I click on another spot on the document, the guide will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem in Illustrator CC I'm noticing too. I will drag a guide onto the document and it will disappear. If I click on another spot on the document, the guide will appear

this could be the GPU , Try to turn it  ON/OFF and try to add guide .

GPU Performance.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the exact same issue described in this blog (by @pedro_guerrero) and I was able to resolve it by turning off GPU performance processing, as recommended by Mohammad_Harb! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, pedro.guererro​ - it appears to be a mouse issue. Reason I say that is that when you DOUBLE click on a ruler, it opens the Preferences panel, but a single click shouldn't do anything. Does it happen when you "click/drag" in one move? If so, your mouse is most certainly doing an undetectable bounce.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S_Gans  wrote

Hi, pedro.guererro  - it appears to be a mouse issue. Reason I say that is that when you DOUBLE click on a ruler, it opens the Preferences panel, but a single click shouldn't do anything.

Hey, I didn't even know that trick.  Pedro specifically mentioned a mouse in his OP, but it immediately had me thinking of Wacom tablets where the default for the top button is Double Click

Talking of things I didn't know, while toggling screens to use the Greenshot screen grabber, I suddenly lost control of my Windows 10 computer, and it started talking to me.  I quickly discovered that I had turned on Narrator, which is one of those 'friendly' Windows 'ease of access' tools.  It tries to give you a commentary on your every move, but falls dramatically short IMO, because while it managed to tell me I was 'pressing the PrntScrn key and entering Greenshot'  it completely missed that I was 'Getting very annoyed.' , 'Punching monitor.' and 'throwing keyboard across the room'.   .  I expect Mac users never have these sort of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, we have problems that make us want the computer recognize that we're " 'Getting very annoyed.' , 'Punching monitor.' and 'throwing keyboard across the room'", but we can't get there with the Windows Logo Key!   And, of course, we're on Macs, so we're supposed to meditate our way out of the feeling!

As for that default tablet button - that changed on my machine VERY fast! What a pain! Thanks for that reminder, though - so, Pedro, do avoid that as well.

Do let us know if that GPU fix worked for your Illustrator issue.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help. I've come to the conclusion its a mouse issue. I appreciate all your input.

Pete Gregory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines