• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Photoshop not painting/selecting/erasing etc...

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange indeed!

Just updated to the latest from CC (17.1.1.)

After a good start it has stopped 'drawing'. Everything works, absolutely everything AFAIK, except when I drag my pen over the tablet...zilch! No effect, no colour or selection or erasing etc etc. The cursor moves as normal. it's like I'm painting invisible paint! even the history is ticking over as I make strokes.

Ive checked the usual suspects: wrong layer, didn’t deselect, no opacity, etc etc. Then deleted the couple of plugins I use. Nothing!

The first few times it eventually worked, this time it doesn’t seem to be doing so.

Aout to try a restart... again

Nope, I guess I gotta uninstall. I just wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else as it came up so soon after installing the update

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences?

ps-preferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I did, but may as well try again. It's bizarre. It keeps working, then not working, no triggers I can see, although working on another project within PS sometimes "wakes" the functionality, but only sometimes. Anyway, thanks for your time Derek, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, boy did I ever have way more prefs set than I thought.

Anyway, it didn't work, and PS has been pretty much unusable for a week now. Tonight I reinstalled photoshp, fairly certain that would fix it.

If anything it's worse. Now the cursor doesn’t change when I change tools. Its cost me a lot of money & driving me spare.

Anyone have any more ideas???

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stunned. I removed v. 2017.1.1 ((or whatever the new update is called) and reinstalled the previous version. It seemed to be a lovely fresh install, and worked beautifully. For half an hour.

Now its worse. the "invisible paint" lasts longer. the cursors do weird things. I click on the brush, paint for a bit, then realise its turned into the eraser tool all by itself! I've never heard of anything remotely like this!

What is it? It started when I installed the update, but is it the update? The (brand new) computer? The (nearly brand new) Wacom tablet?

I'm totally lost and its cost me several days work.

...Painter is looking really good about now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 2 nights ago I spent an hour with an Adobe tech. He put me through all the usual fixes, and we ended with installing the Adobe cleaner tool and uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop. He thought it was fixed. I was hopeful.

Straight away everything worked fine. I worked 4 hours without trouble and then BOOM, back where I started. This time it wouldn’t come back. I watched some more Painter tuts.

Next day I sat down and started working. Forgetting it didn’t work for a few minutes until it happened again. And so it went all day. Sometimes the prob would disappear after a couple of strokes, other times a couple of hours. I sketched in Art Rage.

Still not getting what I can get out of Photoshop, so its more waiting.

The constant stop/start cost me much of my day.

Has NO ONE had this problem? Guess not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off (unticking) in PS Preferences under the Performance tab "Use Graphic Processor".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I've just done as you suggest, but it turns out that wasn’t the answer. Thanks for replying anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Could you please state the tablet that you are using, and the version of its drivers that is currently installed?

Some drivers needs to be updated for the new version of Photoshop.

Also, which Operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines