Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient mask problems for retouch

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am working on a catalogue for artist paint brushes. For each page I am having to blend (gradient mask) several images together on the same colour background.

This has been quite straight forward until they decided to use a dark grey textured background. When I apply a gradient mask and blend there appears to be a blurred look around the product (brushes), where the image has not blended in properly. Everything was fine until I used this type of background.. is there a way to remedy this problem? Or is this just how it renders with some backgrounds? Please see attached. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

246 x 136 TEMPLATE.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

When both images display a noticeable structure the mixture resulting in a »flattening« is nothing unusual.

You could either use less soft Layer Masks or touch up the »seams« on a Layer atop them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help..but still can't seem to make this right..

I don't fancy taking all photos again. I wont be using a background like this again.

Cheers though guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many images are usually on one spread?

Are they at the same scaling or not?

Can you provide one layer file?

Another option might be extracting a Pattern (desaturate, High Pass) from the blank background, set to to Linear Light, Clipping Mask that to a blank Layer (or a flattened, burred copy of the whole image) and paint on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Thanks for your replies. Appreciated.

On average there will be around 3-5 sets per page. I'll will have another go later and post a better example.

Thanks

chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this can help illustrate the point.

When the blending (by virtue if the Layer Mask) results in pixels determined by a mixture of both Layers’ pixels the result in the »soft« areas will be more noticeable the stronger the structure in the two Layers is,

softLayerMaskOnStructureScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On closer inspection I noticed another issue – the general background and the background of the image of the brushes seem to be at different scaling (or were photographed with different camera positions).

That might prove difficult to address, especially if the montages combine multiple images of differently sized background structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, usually a quick solution to the kind of problem is flat all the layers, add some low noise and scale few pixels down.

If this is not working or u can't do that for some reasons, you have to use the healing brush tool or the clone in order to "heal" those areas. Another solution is to cut out the brushes (selecting them) and re-create their shadow from scratch. Doing this, you will avoid the blending problem you have.

Please let me know it this sounds reasonable to you,
Martin Benes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines