• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split Text frame in 2. Header on the Left, Paragraph on Right. (image inc)

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All

Trying to set up my text box where I can have my main Headers on the left of the text frame

and my paragraph/text for that header to be on the right side of it.

I must be continous and not split into columns.

Ive included a pic to try illustrate what i need.

As you can see i have Title A and the Main Text on the right side of it with a bit of space between.

It should all flow continuously.

Text Frame.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you try using a 2 column table for the same?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amaarora

I tried it, its the same concept but seems to be a messy way of doing it.

I need to write up a fairly long booklet with the same style on all pages, so laying it out in a text frame would be the preferred and neater way.

Ive include the same pic but this time highlighting the text to try and show the flow.

Text Frame 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it seems like this should be very simple to accomplish, it isn't. One old method is to set the heading paragraph style to have a negative baseline shift — literally just pushing it down a full line to align with the text to the right. (The main paragraph text would have a large left indent, of course.)

Another option is to put the headings and paragraphs in a table (the heading in the left column, the paragraphs in the second column). Or you can put the headings in anchored frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, if the headings can actually be built into the same paragraph as the main text, then it is much easier! In other words, you can just type "Heading[tab]paragraph text" and then add two bits of formatting to the paragraph: a nested style that applies the heading formatting "up to" the tab, and a hanging indent. (A hanging indent is a large positive left indent coupled with a negative First Line indent. For example, you could make the left indent 10p and then the First Line indent –10p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some years ago! [March 2014]

A simple para style!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, that is wonderful… can you please share a link to where you posted the solution in 2014? Or some hints as to how you created that? I feel like I read it a long time ago, but I don't recall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

… One of The Jedi's first posts on Adobe InDesign Forum! 

Column for heading, column for body text?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, that was it… nested line styles… crazy smart! Merci!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll quote "zero is my hero"

1. put the headings in their on paragraph and sit the leading to zero, and allign left

2. put the body text in other paragraph with generous left indent

it's unconventional , but work fine in pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm just going to point out that this layout option has always been available via a feature called "Sideheads" in FrameMaker, Adobe's other page layout program. Isn't it time to add it to InDesign? Consider logging in a feature request here. Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines