• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical De-interlacing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm relatively new to After Effects, but was told that this was possible and am looking for any insights:

I have some vertically interlaced graphics files that I'd like to de-interlace.  Essentially, I'd like to create a preview .gif of what a viewer would see from a lenticular array.

I have images that look like this as inputs:

Rainbow-interlace.jpg

The actual input files are much more complicated; this simple image is for diagrammatic purposes.

The output that I'd expect from the above image would be a series of frames of sequential solid colors.

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ain't no such thing as vertical interlacing.  Please describe in very simple terms what you're trying to accomplish, and leave the technical jargon out of it, because you probably don't understand it.  Also, that little square grab tells people nothing.  Please show us a screen shot of the complete user interface, revealing any properties you've modified on a typical problem layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try explaining the problem again.

I'm looking for a process flow.  Any tool, any technique that can create the following output from the proscribed input.  This may take some out of the box thinking.  It's also possible that After Effects isn't the right tool to use, but I've seen it done in a previous life, which is why I'm searching here.

The input is the image above.  Vertical stripes.

The output I'd like to generate a sequence of frames that show an image constructed from a series of equally space vertical lines.  For instance, in the image above, the red lines would add up to one image.  The blue lines would create another image.  From there those individual images would be sequenced.  If the above image were the actual input, the result would be a rectangle that cycles colors - green, yellow, magenta, red... etc.

Again, I'm looking for high-level thoughts on how to achieve this goal.

Simply masking won't work, as that'll leave gaps - a second step would be needed.

Masking and blurring makes a sub-standard image

After that I'm out of ideas.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, are you sure there is interlacing? Interlacing means the footage is broken up into even and odd fields with each field being a different moment in time. It was developed for Television so you could get a bigger picture using the same data rate.

If your footage is truly interlaced you can find that out by first going to footage interpretation and separating fields, then create a new composition from your original footage using new composition from selected (file menu), opening the composition settings and doubling the frame rate (just type * 2 after the existing frame rate and press enter), and then step through the composition one frame at a time. If there are duplicate frames, no movement in pairs of frames, then your footage is not interlaced. If you get ping pong motion, something moves to the left then the right then farther to the left and to the right again you have the field order wrong. If the interlacing is somehow truly vertical you will probably get some weird one pixel high noise in the shot. If that is the case I'm not sure what you would do to fix the problem. I don't have time to run some tests. It would take some research to figure out if there was even a solution to the problem.

EDIT: While I was explaining interlacing you posted additional information so here's my first suggestion.

You don't want interlacing, you want to separate colors into individual layers and then combine them into the final image using some kind of animation. That is a whole different problem probably best easily handles using Colorama and multiple copies of your image. You can choose specific colors and eliminate them or make all other colors the same using the OutPut cycle. I'd suggest you start there.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.59.24 AM.png

Sample an original color with Colroama turned off.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.00.29 AM.png

Play with the output cycle to fill isolate your colors or combine them with others, animate and layer for each color. Then use blend modes or track mattes to create the animation.

Depending on the look you want you may be able to do everything in one layer by animating the output cycle in Colorama.

On the other hand, if the original file was created in Illustrator it may be easier just to duplicate a bunch of layers, make the appropriate selections and open as an After Effects composition and animate or sequence the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick thanks for the suggestion.  I'll work through what you've suggested.  I'm not sure it's applicable (I'm also not sure that it's not), but at the very least I'll learn something.

In the meantime, here are a couple of images that may better illustrate the attempted function:

Rather than colors, let's look at shapes this time.  Here's another simplified input:

ABC - Interlace.jpg

The output from that single, static (and vertically interlaced) image would be the following.

ABC.gif

Basically, I'm looking for After Effects to decode the above image.  I can do it in Photoshop with some effort, but anything larger than the above image becomes prohibitively time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want displacement based on vertical lines, then use a displacment map effect. The effect goes on your input, and you cab choose a map that is another layer in the stack. then you can control the offset based on different luma or chroma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!  That looks like a great option.  I'll check that out and get back to the thread within a few days on the result.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option is to  the Venetian Blinds effect under the Transition Category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EricN,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines