• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get Zoom Resizes Window to stop going behind the panels on the right.

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating. I cannot figure out how to get Photoshop to resize the window when zooming, but to not resize it so far on the right that the photo becomes hidden behind the panels and tabs on the right side (panels such as History, Character, and Paragraph – and tabs such as Swatches and Layers).

Photoshop CC → Preferences → Tools → Zoom Resizes Window: I have used this for a decade or so, and I like how it works. I can zoom the photo very large and the window increases with it. If I zoom the photo very small, the window decreases with it. Perfect! At least it used to be.

The zoom used to respect the panels/tabs on the right side of my computer screen. The window would zoom as large as possible up to the panels/tabs on the right. Now Photoshop zooms to fill the entire screen, causing the photo to become hidden behind the panels/tabs on the right. Every time this happens, I have to manually resize the window so the photo isn't partially hidden. But does it learn from that? Hell, no. The instant I zoom the photo again, it will zoom right back under the panels/tabs on the right.

Windows → Application Frame: I thought this might work. It does allow me to set the window size so the photo doesn't become hidden by the panels/tabs on the right, regardless of how large I zoom in. The only problem is that this option ignores the Zoom Resizes Window setting in my preferences. Instead, the window stays one size, regardless of how large or small I may zoom the photo.

I want to do BOTH at the same time. Photoshop used to do this automatically. I want zoom to resize the window, but I do not want the window to disrespect the panels/tabs on the right to the point the photo becomes hidden behind them.

BTW, I'm using Standard Screen Mode when this is happening.

Is there another setting or option I'm missing? How do I get Photoshop to work the way it used to?

Message was edited by: Vicki Surratt (fixed typo)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Try Window > Workspace > Reset (whatever workspace you are using).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Window > Workspace > Reset (whatever workspace you are using).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I'll have to rebuild my panels and tabs, but that's nothing compared to the zooming problem. And it was so easy, and you answered so fast! I think I metaphorically love you for at least the next 10 minutes! LOL! Seriously, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you will unintentionally undock the panels from the frame, and then the document window then slips behind the panels when you zoom in.

Why not save your personal arrangement as a Custom Workspace? You can do that.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you get all your panels and tabs the way you want them, go to Window > Workspace > New Workspace

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.44.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no doubt I did that or something that messed up the workspace. I am an individual who uses Photoshop only rarely, but I have used it for so long that nothing else compares to me. But that means I am often clueless when new features and changes come out. I usually find my way, not necessarily in the most efficient manner, but good enough to do what I want.

I just got my workspace set up the way I like so I will save it as you suggested. Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help. I've been with PS since 1998 and still learning.

Have fun!

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You got me wondering so I looked through my old software boxes (remember the days when you got a big box, diskettes or CDs, and one or more printed manuals?), and I found what I think was probably my first version of Photoshop. It was Photoshop Limited Edition v2.5. According to my google searches, it came out around 1992 which sounds about right.

My first Mac was the 512Ke. I think I got it around 1985. Last time I tried, it was still running! It's so amazing that I could load up the OS, the software, and the data files all using two 800K diskettes! I actually ran MS Word v1 on that thing!

I eventually worked toward a MIS degree, and was the top of my class so I was handed an internship with IBM (no interview, resume, nothing - all from my professor's word). I loved those days. I could spend hours (heck, days!) working on a project.

Now I'm on my... counting... 9th Mac with 6 of them still running (7 if my old 512Ke still runs).

Got my photoshop question answered and a nice trip down memory lane. What more could I ask for? Have a great evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines