• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get a missing font to show?

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted an old document from quark to InDesign and there is a font that I can't get to appear.  In the font finder it shows up with brackets around the font name.  The original font was in TT format but I have installed a new font in OTF format and the font still won't appear.  I can open a new document and the font is fine.  I have tried placing the font into InDesign font folder and on to the computer's system folder, neither one of those worked.  I can't change the font because it is a cryillic alphabet.  Help! !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Type > Find Font panel to change the font globally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me were to find the font globally?  I don't see on the Find Font panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From menu go to Type > Find Font

Select font you want to replace from Fonts in Document list.

Then select font in Replace with list.

Check Redefine Style When Changing All.

Hit Change All button.

All occurencies of selected font will be replaced.

In this screenshot: Warnock Pro Regular will be replaced with Minion Pro Regular in a whole document (i.e. globally), including Character and Paragraph styles.

FindFont.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have don't this.  The font name will show up with brackets in replace font family area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw your last comment just after posting mine. Are you using a font utility like FontExplorer or Suitcase Fusion? If so check and see if the OTF font is reading as activated. As I said above you need to check and see if your font is showing in other applications. Please also post whether you are working on a Mac or PC. Your Open Type font will work on either but you may need different instructions as to how to properly load your fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the Type menu choose the option "Find Font"

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 8.04.14 AM.png

You will see the Find Font dialog window. Click on the font you want to replace in the upper window (Font Information) and then click on the inverted carat next to the Font Family field and scroll through the pull-down menu until you find the font you want to replace it with. Since you said that you've loaded the replacement OTF font it should show up in this list. Once you've chosen it make sure that the weight you want is also chosen and either click on Change All or click on Find First and change each instance one at a time. After making your changes click on Done. You should now have changed all instances of the font throughout your document. If you were unable to find the OTF in your list check other applications to see if the font is actually open. If the font is visible in other applications but not InDesign please post that information. Prior to doing that try quitting InDesign and then reopening it. Sometimes doing that can awaken a sleeping font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brackets means that you don't have the font installed (although you say you do). Is the text also pink (in Normal view, not Preview?)

It sounds like the issue is getting InDesign to recognize the font.

Do other programs see it? Microsoft Office? Photoshop? Illustrator? Quark?

What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-read your question. The font shows up in a new document in InDesign, but not in the one you converted from QuarkXPress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say what method you're using to convert the Quark document to InDesign. Can you try either copying and pasting text from your converted to InDesign document into a new InDesign document and seeing if you can substitute your OTF version of the font in the new document? If that works then it is a matter of a bad conversion from Quark. If you still have Quark on your machine you can also try to copy and paste text directly from the Quark document and see. Conversions from Quark to InDesign have always resulted in unreliable files which need a lot of tweaking to make them viable InDesign documents. You didn't say what versions of Quark and InDesign you're working with but at this late date what was once only unreliable may now be even more so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried coping and pasting the text into a new InDesign document and that didn't work.  The font still didn't appear.  The converting software used is Markzware.

The Quark version was 8 and I am now working in InDesign 2017.  I do not have quark load on my machine any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you edit the type that has the missing font?

Can you share a screenshot please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can edit the type with the missing font.Font-problem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

you should then be able to carry out a find font command per Bill's earlier post.

You may find this post helpful. https://indesignsecrets.com/indesigns-font-manager.php

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the font command per Bill's earlier post.  The font appears with brackets around it in the font family field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the text highlighted in pink look the way that font is supposed to look? If so then try printing it and see what it looks like. I'm still not clear as to whether the new font you've loaded is showing up in your font list in the converted document. I understand that it is not substituting automatically but if it is in the font list and you select the text in pink and manually change it to the new version does it work? If you copy and paste the text into a new document that has the new opentype version showing in the font list will manual substitution work? If you replace the text in pink with any other font in the converted document does it still appear in pink or is it OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is a cyrillic font.  The pink highlight word should look this way.  When I print text looks the way it is suppose to look.

When I manually select the font, which appears in the font list, but the pink highlight doesn't go away.  When I copy and past the copy into a new document and select the font manually, the word is still highlight in pink.  I can change the font to any other font and the pink highlight goes away.  Thanks for helping Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope all of that solves your problem. If the font is working but still pink it may be that the computer is having a problem with the foreign font. I have seen other posts dealing with difficulties using Cyrillic fonts so that may be at the root of the problem. You can check out this thread which does not deal with the specific problem that you are having but does show the complexities involved with using the font:

problem with typing Cyrillic in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suet55213305  wrote

The font is a cyrillic font.  The pink highlight word should look this way.  When I print text looks the way it is suppose to look.

Are you really really sure? While it may look like cyrillic (specifically - П), overall writing from your post 14 is very strange and meaningless to me (I know Russian).

Being in your shoes I'd try to check with some different source, not only this converted ID document. Maybe some old pdf from original Quark, or your client could confirm this to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am sure the printed text should like the way it does.  I have checked it against a printed piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an indication that the font is missing on your computer.

You would need to choose a font that is installed on your machine. In this case the OTF font that you have installed.

Does that make sense?

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac platform.  The font appears pink in the document.  I use mac's font book for the fonts, but i have place the font in the InDesign font folder also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this EXACT same problem suet55213305. I use a third party extension to convert Quark to INDD. Most fonts came up fine but I have a few that I had to load and activate in Suitcase. It's there but when I go into INDD the copy is in pink and I can't replace it because the font that's supposed to be activated is in brackets and won't let me select it. Meaning it's missing except it's not. I'm super frustrated because I don't know how to fix this and it seems to be an on-going problem for many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines