• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page with long footnotes.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with very long footnotes. I would like to span the footnote through the entire page, regardless of how much text will remain on the page.

Indesign, instead, bring footnotes to another page when they are too long.

How to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want to allow the footnote to split onto the next page. If that is it, open the Document Footnote Options window, and under the Layout tab, select "Allow Split Footnotes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for Yr. answer

The problem is the opposite: I would want for the footnote to remain on a page and move the main body on the next page if necessary.

The footnote, for example, could also fill the page and leave only one line of the main body.

I attach an image as an example of what I mean.

Schermata 2017-08-26 alle 09.38.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean!

Such a footnote behavior is basically totally normal!? 

Capture d’écran 2017-08-26 à 11.54.33.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Look at your first page. The footnote fills the page. Only one line of the main body is left on the page. Instead, I cannot make the footnote fill the page as you did. My footnote reaches a third of the page at max, then either splits or moves to the next page.

So your footnote behaviour should be normal in my opinion, but I cannot make my InDesign behave like that. How do I do what you did?

P.S.: In the previous post, I attached an image depicting what I wish to do. That page is my objective, but I do not know how to achieve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are only two options that control the splitting of footnotes: Allow Split Footnotes on or off. See the Online Help: Create footnotes in InDesign

It sounds as if you want to have the footnote not starting on the same page as its marker. That is not possible.

With such a long footnote, either:

1. Allow split. InDesign starts the footnote immediately under the footnote marker, and the rest of the note goes to the next page.

2. Do not allow a split. InDesign cuts off the current page right before the footnote marker, and moves that line plus the entire footnote text to the next page.

There are no more options. If you need something more complicated (and more non-standard), you have to construct all of your footnotes manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jong,

There's another trick to control the splitting! … the para settings! 

Capture d’écran 2017-08-26 à 14.38.33.png

or …

Capture d’écran 2017-08-26 à 14.44.29.png

Curious to take a look to this para setting [in French]! … 

Capture d’écran 2017-08-26 à 14.47.45.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not seen the date of your original post! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite confusing. It seems OP followed up his own question of a year ago, asking for the exact opposite of the original one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines