• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Suddenly Useless -- Black or Transparent Image???

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden when I open an image the thumbnail in the layers palette shows me that the correct image has been opened --- however the image shows as either a completely black image or a transparent image with a blue background. This renders Photoshop virtually useless. I am attaching screen shots --- Look at the layers palette --- you can see thumbnails of the images... I have checked that the channels are correct -- all are RGB or CMYK images, nothing out of the ordinary.

2017-08-27 (2).pngI have reset the preferences back to the default, thinking I must have changed something really BAD. No help. In desperation i uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled it, still no help.  I can open a raw image just fine, but when I go from raw to Photoshop I get either a Black screen or a blue screen with a transparent square where the photo should be.

2017-08-27 (4).png

I noticed this after the recent update to Photoshop, but i'm not 100% sure if that is related or not. Can anyone help? Is anyone else having this issue? I am so frustrated at this point -- and behind in my editing. I need an answer ASAP ---- and I can't find a way to contact Adobe to ask.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Does turning off Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! That worked! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool for example) but it indicates problems with the GPU driver or the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The identical problem occurred on my system yesterday and the solution described above was effective.  But...why?  And, what do I lose with acceleration disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the latest Device Driver available for your Display Adapter installed on your system.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines