• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a 64-bit image in Photoshop CS6?

Participant ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, experts. Recently, I was investigating blending modes, and came across one called Behind. When I looked on an Adobe webpage about blending modes, I found that Behind is not available for 32-bit images. I am running Photoshop CS6 Extended, and I understand that it is a 64-bit-capable app. So, please tell me, if this is possible, how a 64-bit image file can be created in this app. (Or otherwise, how Behind may be used — if this is at all possible — in a 16 or 32-bit image.)

Thanks in advance, for any helpful information.

T.T.F.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

The reason you're almost never seeing Behind is that it's only available for brush tools. It controls how pixels apply as you paint. It only appears in the options bar when you have a painting tool selected, and for that reason I don't think it ever appears in the Layers panel. Same for the Clear blending mode.

To use the Behind blending mode, first select a pixel layer in the Layers panel that isn't the background layer and has transparent areas. Then select a painting tool like Brush or Clone S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no problem using the Blend Mode Behind in a 16bit image.

And you seem to be misunderstanding what a 64bit application means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, please tell me, if this is possible, how a 64-bit image file can be created in this app.

In Photoshop there are no »64bit images«, 32bit per Channel is tops, at least so far – and I doubt anything more would be useful.

Something on 32bit and 64bit Systems:

64-bit computing - Wikipedia

32-bit and 64-bit explained | Gizmo's Freeware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, friend, for your two helpful replies. I shall look a the links that you provided, later, when there is more time. However, in the list of blend modes shown in the Layers panel of a 32-bit image, I did not see any option to use Behind mode.

Probably you are right in suggesting that I misunderstand what a 64-bit application is. All this kind of stuff is far above my head. However, I had to frame my questions according to my limited understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For which operation do you intend to use the Blend Mode?

Painting with »Behind« in a 32bit RGB image seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an image, filling it with blue. On top of that, I placed an empty layer. In that empty layer, I scribed a circle, and filled it with red. Then, in the transparent layer with the red circle in it, I typed some words in green, thinking that it would be possible to opt for Behind mode with the text. However, Behind was not in the list of blending modes. Perhaps there was something that was not being done aright, but, if there was, I don't know what it was.

T.T.F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Why not just place the Type Layer behind the Layer with the circle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason you're almost never seeing Behind is that it's only available for brush tools. It controls how pixels apply as you paint. It only appears in the options bar when you have a painting tool selected, and for that reason I don't think it ever appears in the Layers panel. Same for the Clear blending mode.

To use the Behind blending mode, first select a pixel layer in the Layers panel that isn't the background layer and has transparent areas. Then select a painting tool like Brush or Clone Stamp.

Details about that blending mode are on this page:

Blending modes in Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason you're almost never seeing Behind is that it's only available for brush tools.

Also Edit > Fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks friend, for the extra information. Also, for so persistently sticking with this enquiry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for clearing up this conundrum. I love to learn about Photoshop (whether I need to for practical purposes, or not), and this problem was driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines