Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

executeAction() breaks doProgress()

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  all,

I have working script which replaces smart objects with the new image, and it is working as expected.

function someFunction(){

//some code 

changeSOContent();

}

function changeSOContent(){

var myDocument = currentDocument; 

// some code 

var imageGroup = myDocument.layerSets.getByName('images-group'); 

var imageSmartObj = imageGroup.artLayers.getByName('image-so'); 

var imageFiles = Folder(imgDirPath).getFiles(/\.(jpg|psd|png)$/i); 

for (var i = 0; i < imageFiles.length; i++) { 

imageSmartObj = replaceContents(imageFiles, imageSmartObj); 

myDocument.saveAs((new File(destinationFolder + "/" + theName + ".jpg")), jpgopts, true);

}

}

function replaceContents(newFile, theSO) { 

app.activeDocument.activeLayer = theSO; 

var idplacedLayerReplaceContents = stringIDToTypeID("placedLayerReplaceContents"); 

var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor(); 

var idnull = charIDToTypeID("null"); 

desc3.putPath(idnull, new File(newFile)); 

var idPgNm = charIDToTypeID("PgNm"); 

desc3.putInteger(idPgNm, 1); 

executeAction(idplacedLayerReplaceContents, desc3, DialogModes.NO); 

return app.activeDocument.activeLayer; 

}

But I want to add progress bar while script is doing the job. So I try like this

function someFunction(){ 

app.doForcedProgress("Progress bar start.", "changeSOContent()"); 

}

function changeSOContent(){

var myDocument = currentDocument; 

//some code 

var imageGroup = myDocument.layerSets.getByName('images-group'); 

var imageSmartObj = imageGroup.artLayers.getByName('image-so'); 

for (var i = 0; i < imageFiles.length; i++) {  

var canContinue = app.doProgressSubTask(i, imageFiles.length, "updateProgress()"); 

if (!canContinue) return; 

function updateProgress(){

app.changeProgressText("Current image: " + i + ""); 

}

imageSmartObj = replaceContents(imageFiles, imageSmartObj); 

myDocument.saveAs((new File(destinationFolder + "/" + theName + ".jpg")), jpgopts, true);

}

}

function replaceContents(newFile, theSO) { 

app.activeDocument.activeLayer = theSO; 

var idplacedLayerReplaceContents = stringIDToTypeID("placedLayerReplaceContents"); 

var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor(); 

var idnull = charIDToTypeID("null"); 

desc3.putPath(idnull, new File(newFile)); 

var idPgNm = charIDToTypeID("PgNm"); 

desc3.putInteger(idPgNm, 1); 

executeAction(idplacedLayerReplaceContents, desc3, DialogModes.NO); 

return app.activeDocument.activeLayer;

}

But I've got error that said

General Photoshop error Occured. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

for the executeAction(idplacedLayerReplaceContents, desc3, DialogModes.NO);

error.png

Somehow, when I call function which contains executeAction() script breaks whit this error. When I comment out everything in replaceContents(), everything goes smoothly. Of course, smart object hasn't being replaced, but rest of the code runs without error

I've try to figure it out for days, but with no success, because there is no enough search results for doProgress().

Photoshop version is CC 2017

I've also tried solution with Window palette with win.update(); but I've got flickering and is not working as expected.

Can anybody help me about this?

Thanks

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get that message look at the layers palette.  Is the current targeted layer a smart object layer.  The message is a common message you get when some dependency the command has currently does not exist so the command is unavailable for use.  The command may well be in your version of Photoshop but it is currently grayed out and unavailable for use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe messed-up progressbar. It's not compatible with 30 % actions. You should do your own progressbar. You can check my own: Magic scripts for Photoshop (Transform with style script.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack​ I look up for the layer by ​getByName(); ​so smart objects are selected

Jarda Bereza​ I've tried your progress bar and it's working, kind of. It shows up, but it is white panel. I've tried several solutions with Window palette, and they all end up with white panel. That's why I've tried with ​doProgress()​ (which I saw in your scripts btw, before that I didn't know that ​doProgress() ​even exists)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying that progressbar in my script is white dialog all the time? It may happen if Photoshop is too bussy and don't pay attention about rerendering scriptUI.

In Font Remaping script I had Issue with UI rendering. And increasing dialog width by 1px forcing Photoshop redraw dialogUI. So I toogle dialog width 😄

Next idea is use $.sleep(1) or app.refresh(). I am not sure If this will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try with redrawing dialog.

In your scripts, only Font Remaping is protected, so I couldn't see the code and how you handled redrawing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next Idea is: how often do you update progress dialog? Maybe you update dialog so often that redrawing is never completed because there is new redraw request while redrawing. One update per second or two should be enough for user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried all solutions mentioned on the forum and all act the same, palette is white while progress is working

preloader_bug.gif

app.refresh() resolve white panel, but drop the performance. It's not ideal solution, but will work for now.

I will mark as resolved, but if someone find a  better solution (without app.refresh()), or how to doProgress() work with executeAction(), write a comment, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines