Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help me optimise my drives please

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i will try an explain this as best i can

I have 4 drives right now,2 SSD drives and 2 HDD ,one of the HDD is a very slowish 2TB drive i just dump images and audio effects on.

My main SSD has my operating system on and a few games i play,it does have some programs but nothing from adobe.

Now my second SSD is completely brand new,it has been formatted and thats it,this is the drive i want to use purely for adobe applications.

I cannot install them on the (1) main drive as space is limited,so i would like to install them all on my (2) SSD,the other drive is a slightly faster HDD

So

(1) Main SSD with OS on

(2) brand new SSD with nothing on there at all

(3) a slow 2 TB HDD

(4) a slightly faster HDD

I want to install 5 possible 6 Adobe application on (2) but where would i create the media cache for best performance, i cannot use my (1) drive so it would need to be on one of the other three.

Is it ok to install my programs on the (2) and have media cache on the same drive  ?

Anyway , all help and suggestions appreciated

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally you would have a third SSD for caching, but if you don't have enough space on your OS SSD then your Adobe apps SSD is probably the best option, especially if you're going to be using After Effects. You don't want to put your cache on a slow drive, and preferably not the same drive as the media either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like David suggests, it's best to have the OS and your apps on a single SSD. Apps/OS will work best if they're installed on the same drive. You may more easily run into problems if you install them on separate drives.

Perhaps you can choose to delete some games in favor of Adobe apps? Alternatively, is it an option to purchase a newer (larger) SSD and install your OS/Apps/Games on that drive, freeing up the existing drive?

For your media, I would strongly advise you to have a separate SSD.

Temp files should preferably be also on a separate SSD, I even have an m.2 memory drive for this purpose (I'm on PC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend first removing the games and any other non-editing software, then installing the Adobe suite on 1.

Put projects and Cache on 2, Media on 3, and Exports on 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines