• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the benefit of using a Vega FE over Vega RX 64?

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking this question specifically about the AMD RX Vega Frontier Edition vs. the standard RX Vega 64 version of the card. I know the actual GPUs are identical, but are there any of the following differences:

• 10-bit color support?
  • Hardware HEVC/H.265 encode or decode?
  • Realtime RAW/4K/8K playback?
  • Will the additional 8GB or RAM make that much of a difference?
  • Additional features unlocked from the driver that aren't available on the AMD RX Vega 64?

I am currently building a new workstation with a Threadripper 1950x processor and I'm curious if the cost of this card is worth it, or should I just take the $300 difference and add more system memory and get the standard RX Vega 64 instead.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is to go with a nVidia CUDA based card as I have seen no results from either of those cards with Premiere Pro.  I do have the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) web site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to stay with AMD because of their compute performance is higher than Nvidia. I'm just trying to understand is there any benefit above the additional 8GB of ram, but I can't find any specific info from AMD on the capabilities of this card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess you are referring to some other programs besides Premiere when you say "their compute performance is higher than nVidia".  I have yet to see being better than nVidia (or even coming close) with Premiere for MPE GPU acceleration.

Sure would love to see your PPBM test results when you finish your build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines