• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Draw keeps deleting my lines when i area fill?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been using Draw now for quite a while and recently, whenever I do an area fill after creating my outlines, the app decides to delete my entire outline.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there anything I am doing wrong, because this app is super straight forward it seems.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you for your time in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orange.

I responded to you through the in-app feedback last Friday but never heard back from you. 

I'm really sorry this is happening. It is not something I've heard before at all (and so far I've been unable to duplicate it) so if you can give me any additional details about what's happening and when it's happening, it would be really helpful.

* Is the outline erasing only when you try to fill? Or is it happening at other times too?

* Are you actually able to fill, then the outline deletes? Or does fill not even work then the outline is deleted?

* Is this happening with every drawing you work on or one in particular? If it's just one drawing is it particularly complex?

* Does this also happen when you try to fill in a shape? Or does it happen only with hand-drawn outlines?

* If you create a new drawing in a new project, does this happen immediately? If you create a new layer in an existing drawing does this happen?

* What color is your outline? And what color is your fill?

* Finally, and this may sound a really stupid question but... By any chance do you have the eraser selected and are long-pressing on the outline?

Any additional information, that I can pass along to the product team, will be helpful.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too, on adobe draw.

any solutions or possible workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's taken some time, but I've found a workaround. Depending on people's methods/approaches this may or may not work but thought would be useful to share.

1/ keep your outlines on a separate layer. Duplicate that layer and keep that backup copy somewhere separate (like underneath the background) for when you need it.

2/ start filling in your shapes but keep an eye out for when outlines start disappearing.

3/ every time an outline disappears, duplicate your outlines layer, move it to the top and then "merge down" with your fill layer.

4/ repeat this process every time an outline disappears, always keeping a duplicate copy of your outline layer on standby.

It's a bit fiddly and time consuming but is a good workaround if you've done a near-perfect outline and don't want to end up having to re-do it.

I reckon in more complex compositions, Adobe might get confused and think an outline is part of the fill and thereby include the outline in the fill action...it does seem like a glitch though.

Having said that, I've found it pays dividends to ensure all of my outlines are unbroken *before* I start filling - saves me so much time later. And occasionally reduces that confusion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer Sue's questions (assuming my answers are the same/similar to the Orange Buddha - feel free to amend/clarify):

* Is the outline erasing only when you try to fill? Or is it happening at other times too?

Only when I try to fill.

* Are you actually able to fill, then the outline deletes? Or does fill not even work then the outline is deleted?

I'm able to fill, then the outline deletes.

* Is this happening with every drawing you work on or one in particular? If it's just one drawing is it particularly complex?

It's been especially noticeable with the attached drawing. I filled in parts of the face, and then the contour outlines of the head and hairline were disappearing one-by-one as soon as I filled. I did some thorough testing and I could see this happening: as the shapes were being filled in, the outlines of surrounding shapes were disappearing (e.g., filling in the cheekbone and the whole head outline disappeared). It was seemingly random.

I noticed this happening in other drawings too but it was especially noticeable in this one. I'd be filling in and then notice I'd have to re-do certain outlines. At first, I thought "I'm sure I did a line for this outline", then thought I must have undone it by accident somewhere along the process, or that I was going crazy and imagining things. But when I tested in a conscious way on this drawing, I could see outlines disappear as I filled.

* Does this also happen when you try to fill in a shape? Or does it happen only with hand-drawn outlines?

Admittedly, I didn't test it with shapes. The only shapes I might have tried it on were circles that I used for the eye pupils but because they were such small shapes, the problem didn't seem to occur. It seemed pretty random/sporadic but mainly happened on larger fills.

* If you create a new drawing in a new project, does this happen immediately?

No.

If you create a new layer in an existing drawing does this happen?

No. But it did happen on duplicated layers. So I was able to work around it by re-duplicating and merging down every shape that was filled and eventually it stopped doing it once most of the shapes were filled.

* What color is your outline? And what color is your fill?

Outline colour: #000000 (pure black).

Fill colour: various hues of beige.

* Finally, and this may sound a really stupid question but... By any chance do you have the eraser selected and are long-pressing on the outline?

No.

Any additional information, that I can pass along to the product team, will be helpful.

Sue.

Thanks, Sue!

BFCAEC53-68FA-46E7-890F-872969F4AB15.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rory. 

Please message me through Draw's in-app feedback so I can look at all of your device/app information that auto-populates the email.

You don't have to rewrite all of this just mention that you posted in the forums. 

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines