• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop: Could not complete the Crop command because a linked smart object file is missing

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working as a dev in a company and I get a ps file from the designer.

I want to crop some images from the ps file and my general approach would be to go on top of all existing layers, create a new layer (cmd+alt+maj+N), and flatten all layers in that new layer (cmd+alt+maj+E), so that I have only one layer to deal with.

(I do so to have all effects flattened and so I don't loose time searching things in layers which I have not organized...).

Anyway, once I have the flattened layer, I do a selection around the part of the image I want to crop,

and then I try to crop but I get the following message:

"Could not complete the Crop command because a linked smart object file is missing"

This invalidates my approach, forcing me to find workarounds, and is quite frustrating.

So the simplest workaround I've found is to duplicate my flattened layer to a new document, and from the new document, cropping executes without problem.

Now I'm just curious:

I don't see how a missing linked smart object file can prevent me from cropping a flattened layer.

Why does Photoshop say that "error message"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

I don't see how a missing linked smart object file can prevent me from cropping a flattened layer.

Well, you did not flatten the image but »Merge Visible«, so the SO is still present in the file.

Edit: The Crop Tool crops the image, not just one Layer of the image.

By the way: cmd-alt-shift-E (Layer > Merge visible + shift-key) creates a new Layer if the active Layer is not empty, so you would not need to create a Layer before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you did not flatten the image but »Merge Visible«, so the SO is still present in the file.

Edit: The Crop Tool crops the image, not just one Layer of the image.

By the way: cmd-alt-shift-E (Layer > Merge visible + shift-key) creates a new Layer if the active Layer is not empty, so you would not need to create a Layer before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, today I feel like a better photoshoper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines