• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC will not open excel files

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been able to open these files. I get an error message that says files are not supported file type or damaged or email attachment wasn't correctly decode?

I have re-installed the software. Still no change.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

The issue if I understand it is that Excel is not listed as a Supported Format Type in Acrobat Pro. When you are combining files, you should be able to combine any of the Supported File Types, such as PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

This is what it should look like when you go to Tools > Combine Files > Add Files

2018-04-17_16-58-23.png

But in a recent update to either Acrobat DC Pro or Office 2016, Excel is no longer listed as a Supported File Type and attempting to combine them will result in an error.

I was runnin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader never could, and can't now, open files that are not PDFs. If you were able to do it you probably had the paid-for Acrobat, not the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader (which is free) has never been able to open Excel files. Only Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro can do that. What software do you have exactly? You can find out on the About dialog (if you are on Windows, it's under the Help menu).

If you have both the free Reader and Acrobat installed on your system, make sure you are using the correct application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I had reader 11.0 on my other computer that open these files before. Did they change something. Do I have to buy this now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible. Either you didn't have Adobe Reader, or they were not Excel files. NO VERSION OF READER WILL DO IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right the program is Adobe XI that was on my old computer. Do I have to buy a new program to make this work now? Or can I download the old program to my new computer. I have windows 10 home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes more sense, assuming you mean Adobe Acrobat XI. And yes, you can try to install Acrobat XI on your new computer. If you're not using it on the old one you should deactivate it first, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By deactivate do you mean un-installing them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean deactivate. You can do it via the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the deactivate button is greyed out i cannot click on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used your download link, it downloaded and the same error message pops up like it did in the other versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can't deactivate it. Just install it on the new computer and hope for the best.

If you get an activation error contact Adobe Customer Service and ask for an activation counter reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i installed dc and xi and they both give me the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat or Reader?

On Aug 29, 2017 11:59 PM, "williamsh26993436" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we tryied both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only try it in Acrobat.

Do you have Office installed as well?

On Aug 30, 2017 12:10 AM, "williamsh26993436" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have acrobat xi pro installed and the error message pops up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have Office to be able to convert an Excel file (or a Word file, or a PowerPoint file, etc.) to PDF using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Office installed on the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe the exact steps you're taking, and what the results are.

On Aug 31, 2017 5:56 AM, "williamsh26993436" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way though, Acrobat can't OPEN an Excel file. It can CONVERT an Excel file to PDF though (using Excel). So something has changed so I agree: please describe exactly what you are doing, what you want to happen, and what happens instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can re-download the software from here: Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue if I understand it is that Excel is not listed as a Supported Format Type in Acrobat Pro. When you are combining files, you should be able to combine any of the Supported File Types, such as PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

This is what it should look like when you go to Tools > Combine Files > Add Files

2018-04-17_16-58-23.png

But in a recent update to either Acrobat DC Pro or Office 2016, Excel is no longer listed as a Supported File Type and attempting to combine them will result in an error.

I was running into the same exact issue. Microsoft says it's an Adobe issue. Adobe says it's a Microsoft issue. Neither were of any help. I have tried to un-install and re-install both, and for some machines, rolling back to an earlier version of Office worked. But not in all instances. How I fixed it was copying the registry key from a machine that worked to a non-working machine.

To have .xls files show as a Supported File Type in Acrobat DC this is the registry key that I copied and replaced:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls]

@="Excel.Sheet.8"

"Content Type"="application/vnd.ms-excel"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls\PersistentHandler]

@="{98DE59A0-D175-11CD-A7BD-00006B827D94}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]

@="{00020827-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

For .xlsx files:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx]

"PerceivedType"="document"

@="Excel.Sheet.12"

"Content Type"="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\Excel.Sheet.12]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\Excel.Sheet.12\ShellNew]

"FileName"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Root\\VFS\\Windows\\ShellNew\\excel12.xlsx"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\PersistentHandler]

@="{4887767F-7ADC-4983-B576-88FB643D6F79}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\ShellEx\PropertyHandler]

@="{33154C99-BF49-443D-A73C-303A23ABBE97}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]

@="{00020827-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]

@="{72B66649-3DBF-429F-BD6F-7774A9784B78}"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lickwidsnake,

Thank you for sharing the fix/workaround which will be helpful for the users facing a similar issue.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines