• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any solution for "unexpected end-of-file encountered" on CS5 and macOS 10.7.4

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mac 10.7.4 and CS5 Extended on an Imac 27.

Today, working on a large file PSD suffix and Photoshop froze. and when I restarted i got "unexpected end of file " error message on the file i was working on, but on several other files also in that folder.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Can you rebuild or restore the file in any way?

The file shows on the hard drive now as 118.6 megs. The files show up in Bridge, but with small Previews.

[post is from 2012 — versions added]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Noel Carboni wrote:

it brings back whatever you were working on in the last few minutes before the failure.

That is correct, of course.  But, if I construe the OP correctly, the computer malfunction also damaged other files in the same older that were not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually that means that the file has been corrupted on disk, though sometimes it means that the file has the wrong extension and can't be read correctly.

In your case, it sounds like the file was damaged by some sort of system error.

Most of the time, the files are not recoverable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Chris. I tried to open it in Graphic Converter; it was just white file. Blank. Tried to open it on another machine; same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I always read that error message as "your file is hosed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mtucker508@mac.com wrote:

Can you rebuild or restore the file in any way?

It doesn't help you with this file, but unexpected failure is precisely what the new Photoshop CS6 Auto-Save feature helps with.  If Photoshop were to crash/freeze/be forced closed/whatever, next time you start it it brings back whatever you were working on in the last few minutes before the failure.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

it brings back whatever you were working on in the last few minutes before the failure.

That is correct, of course.  But, if I construe the OP correctly, the computer malfunction also damaged other files in the same older that were not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no application is going to be able to fix computer system problems.  That's why backups are a good idea.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem recently, and restored from backup. I had to go back two versions to get a readable file. I'm not sure what caused the problem (file system or PS) and don't see any indication of one cause being more likely than another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also gotten this problem despite saving multiple copies in different places. It gets tiring, but yeah, the best way is to upgrade ps6 for the auto save. Aside from that kiss the projects you were slaving over for hours goodbye. Though I understand how frustrating it is when you get inadequate feedback that won't even list the other possibilities of recovering corrupted files. Because there are. They may work or they may not. But of course staff won't even bother telling you that, they could care less about your lost hard work... they'll just continue to snidely tell you it was your own fault despite the circumstance and program's outdated storage/saving system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this error today and was able to open the file in Illustrator and then export it as a PSD with all the layers intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BLESS you!
this worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woo it worked in Illustrator.. saved me lot of time.. thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You've been infinitely more helpful than the so-called experts and staff members here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dang! So yet another investment in Illustrator to help with PS.  It's all about the Benjamins. How about a program that does what you are paying for? =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked like a charm. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got a black screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too :(( anyone how to fix this??? help :((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for that - it worked for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... Thanks a lot.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greatest answer! thank you!! ❤️     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it with the latest verion? 24

I don't have the option to keep the layers as Illustrator want to convert the layers into objects or flatten the layers.. no other choices.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of god it works!!! Thank you soooo Much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in just to write this comment. You're a true hero and you saved my life!! Thank you so so so much! :sparkles::cherry_blossom:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked as of February 2022. Saved me hours of work after my file was unexpectedly corrupted. Illustrator changed just a couple weird issues which were super quick for me to repair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm works as of march 17, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines