• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would you upgrade this system?

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we're doing more and more work with 4k video, the PC I bought a few years ago just doesn't cut it. Wondering if the best route to come up with a more capable system would be to upgrade the existing box or start from scratch?

Presently in a CoolerMaster Trooper or HAF 932 case is:

• CPU: Intel Core-i7 3960X Extreme 3.3GHz 6-Core Unlocked
  • Power supply: CoolMax ZP1000B 1000W 80+ Certified Modular
  • CoolerMaster 6 Heat Pipe Cooler
  • 32GB (8GB x4) Crucial Balistix CAS9
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

Hard drives:

• OS Drive (Win 7 Pro/64): Crucial M4 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • 3 other drives are basic 7200 SATA drives

It seems the HDs would be the biggest bottleneck by far presently but not sure what options might be available given the current hardware and again, whether in the end starting from scratch would be the best bet?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, those components date back to 2011, I do not not know how many hours per day they are used but quite possibly they are near the end of their service life if you are in any sort of production environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bill,

>...they are near the end of their service life if you are in any sort of production environment....

The first word, "unfortunately" pretty much says it all I guess.

Earlier this week I took a half dozen computers, and as many monitors the recycling center. Dropped them off to join the BIG pile of other old PCs, flat screen TVs etc. Of course this machine still will be useful for some time to come for various purposes, but it's a good reminder of how fleeting "state-of-the" art actually is!

Appreciate the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines