• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC level control with non-standard numbering request

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with getting TOC level control to work in a particular way. Here is a highlight of my problem:

I'm using an outline format very similar to an example at https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-chapters-subheads-tables-figures/, but without tables and figures for the time being. I need for one of my heading levels to increment in a numeric sequence throughout most of my book, across stories (chapters)  independent of the Chapter numbers and propagating down through lower levels. InDesign should be able to do it according to its dialogs for TOC, but it isn't functioning as expected.

Here is an example of how it would look, taken from Chapter 3 and 4 of the book. It's especially important to note what happens when the chapter changes.

Chapter 3: Chapter Title

3.9 Subhead Level 1         (comment- 9 is the First Level 1 heading number in chapter 3.
                                                    Last one in chapter 2  was 8.)
   3.9.1 Subhead Level 2
3.10  Subhead Level 1
   3.10.1 Subhead Level 2
      3.10.1.a Subhead Level 3
      3.10.1.b Subhead Level 3
   3.10.2 Subhead Level 2

Chapter 4: Chapter Title

4.11  Subhead Level 1
   4.11.1 Subhead Level 2
      4.11.1.a Subhead Level 3
   4.11.2 Subhead Level 2
4.12  Subhead Level 1
   4.12.1 Subhead Level 2
   4.12.2 Subhead Level 2
      4.12.2.a Subhead Level 3
      4.12.2.b Subhead Level 3
   4.12.3 Subhead Level 2

I don't think InDesign can do it. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

I'm replying to myself here. I tried the list definition shown in the  above screen capture of the "Jump Documents" list definition for all levels of headings, since Barb used the "Example" list definition for all of her heading levels. This  is indeed the setup that worked to produce this non-standard numbering. Case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doctor Sonic: If I understand your question, this is what you are looking for:

InDesign CCss_022.png

You can use the same logic outlined on here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-chapters-subheads-tables-figures/, with one minor tweak. The difference is that you want the 2nd column numbers to continue incrementing along with the chapter titles, but not the 3rd column numbers, which need to restart at 1. The key is to turn Restart Numbers at this Level to off for the column 2 numbers, and back on for the column 3 numbers.

InDesign CCss_023.png

InDesign CCss_024.png

InDesign CCss_025.png

Then in your book, set the Document Chapter Numbering, and update the numbers.

InDesign CCss_026.pngInDesign CCss_027.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! That doesn't work! I am so sorry. I totally thought I had it.

Edit: no wait. (And now I'm talking to myself.) I just missed the 3rd level.

And I'm going to have to try this again, but I'm out of time tonight. So close! Fingers crossed that I can get this going in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for your help. I'll try this tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. If we can't get it to work, no worries. It's NOT a "must have," and being non-standard might confuse readers anyway.
The book is under going peer scrutiny currently, the first wave. It might be completely re-organized after peer review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about my meltdown last night! In the clear light of day, we are back on track:

InDesign CCss_026.png

I'll repost the numbering properties for all four levels, but I think everything is the same as yesterday's screen shots for the title and heads1 and 2, but I'm adding the screen shot for the head3s.

InDesign CCss_027.pngInDesign CCss_028.pngInDesign CCss_029.pngInDesign CCss_031.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doctor Sonic,

Did Barb's solution get you what you needed? Let us know if you need further help!

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wren,

I am so sorry, I started to implement Barb's suggestions and got pulled off that onto design production emergencies. I'll try to get back to the book formatting soon.

Warm regards,

John Walt Childers

[Not a good idea to include private contact info on a public forum. I've removed them]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Can you show how your "Example" List is defined? Type-Bulleted&NumberedLists-DefineLists-Edit002.png

In other words, could you please go to Type > Bulleted & Numbered Lists > Define Lists > Edit and take a screen shot of that.? It's not supposed to be like "Jump Documents" is it?

Type-Bulleted&NumberedLists-DefineLists-Edit001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm replying to myself here. I tried the list definition shown in the  above screen capture of the "Jump Documents" list definition for all levels of headings, since Barb used the "Example" list definition for all of her heading levels. This  is indeed the setup that worked to produce this non-standard numbering. Case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines