Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Necessary Requirements for After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So I'm hoping to learn a number of new skills in After Effects, but my MacBook Air doesn't really have what it takes under the hood to run the program very well. Rendering anything more than the most basic effects is nearly impossible. I'm hoping to get into beauty work, color work, motion graphics, 2.5D, lighting, etc, and I'm looking to buy a new computer in order to learn these things.

I've seen this page: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-144/Hardware-Re...​ But I'm wondering what popular consumer computers meet these requirements. I'm especially hoping to buy a Mac, and even hoping to buy a laptop, but if that won't work, then I'll take any recommendations. What relatively simple computers can handle After Effects?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved this to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a quick look at current MacBook Pro's and apparently they only support 16 GB of RAM and that just is not enough for AE 

If you really want to have a MacOS laptop you would have to be very adventuresome and build a Hackintosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey i'm still looking for an answer on this. Is there an iMac or a PC that can get up to 64gb and has a 6-8 core processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill. None of the current MacBooks of any kind support DDR4 RAM at all. All of them are stuck on DDR3 RAM, of which 16GB unbuffered non-ECC modules do not exist at all. That, plus the fact that the MacBook Pros have only two SODIMM slots, limit the maximum RAM capacity to only 16GB total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yeah I was sort of expecting these kinds of answers. But if a macbook won't do the trick, what you do recommend? PC or otherwise? I'm just looking for anything that can handle AE and isn't insanely expensive (though I know it will be very expensive no matter what).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines