• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop keycommands

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been researching this for a few days now and have not found the answer. My key commands (actually my entire keyboard) does not work in photoshop unless I boot in safe mode. Working entirely in safemode is not a final solution because 95 percent of my fonts are not available to me...and I am sure there are other functions that are not working while in safe mode.

I am running photoshop cc2017

on a Mac Pro from late 2012

using yosemite 10.10.5 OS

I am trying to avoid updating the OS because I will most likely experience a whole new set of problems if I update and honestly not sure if I can with this hardware.

I do not have any of the utilities installed that have been listed as problematic. Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I have more to add to this problem. I have noticed that I am initially able to work in photosop.. all key commands are working as normal. Then I use a tool, be it the stamp tool or most recently it just happened when I option command dragged an element that I wanted to duplicate. The computer makes a little clicking sound, similar to the alien sounds in the movie SIGNS. It's a cute sound but as soon as that sound occurs the letters on my keyboard no longer work. some of the other keys still work like option and command etc.. but the letters themselves are inactivated. They don't even work when I switch to another application. The only way that I can get them working again is to reboot the machine. Upon rebooting, I will hear the little alien clicking sound again, I think it's letting me know that I have reversed what I had done before and viola the keyboard works again. without the letter working, this is why my key commands don't work. Please help me if you know what is causing this. I have been a designer for over 20 years and this is crushing me. I have to reboot my machine everytime I need to use any of these tools that sets it off. Thanks for reading and at least trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Resetting Preferences?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will try this. Will this, at least, prevent me from having to reboot the entire machine, in order to get the key board working again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this problem could possibly be related to the size of the file that I am working on. For example, I just did a bunch of tests on a much smaller file and I didn't experience any of the alien clicking and had no problem with the keyboard. The file that I have been working on that has given me so many problems is about 100 megs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Memory could be an issue.  Look at Preferences > Performance & Scratch Disk,  how much available RAM & how big is your Scratch Disk?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I'm checking that now. The other suggestion didn't work, resetting preferences at every launch. Had to reboot the whole machine again. ahrg.  launching photoshop right now will be able to tell you the scratch disk info in a minute. takes forever to launch. sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok scratch disk is at 37 gigs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention also, that I recently had my keyboard completely replaced last month. It wasn't working at all and I took it to a apple certified shop in greenville south carolina. The apple store in greenville had a week wait time and I couldn't wait. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the system preferences regarding the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for trying to help me Nancy. You are the only person that has reached out to me.. I am very grateful for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have discovered the root of the problem. it has to do with gestures. I turned the gesture functionality off in the preferences of photoshop and I have not had the problem yet. the only hand gesture I will make now is crossing my fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so the saga continues. the problem has nothing to do with gestures and has something to do with the history and the quantity of saved iterations in the history. The problem occurs when I reach the maximum qty of saved iterations. I had it set to 50 so it happened on the 50th action I counted the history items and it was 50 on the dot. I have increased the amount of saved iterations. Not sure how high I can go with this number though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines