• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Turn On Layer's Eye in CS6 Action

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start with bottom layer and save a PNG file . . . then include the next layer up just above the bottom layer & save a PNG file . . . then include the next layer up . . . the next layer up . . . etc . . . until all layers have been included.  I want to save as many PNG files as I have layers.

I can manually do that, but it tedious.

I have 2 problems that I don't know how to handle in an action . . .

1. How do I select (turn on eye) of a layer?
  2. How do name the PNG files w/o overwriting the last? I would like to supply a "standard" name that will add suffix (1), (2), etc automatically or stop the action and let me correct the "standard" name.

I think an action to save a PNG & and turn on eye for above layer would serve my needs.  Then I could simply click to run the action as many times as needed.

Here's what I do manually.

• Turn OFF Eye of all layers EXCEPT bottom layer
  • File > Save As                        Ctrl/Shift/S
    • Save in :          Choose destination (this will be made standard)
    • File name:       Shot1
    • Format:           PNG
    • Save
  • Turn ON Eye of layer immediately above last saved as PNG
    • File > Save As                        Ctrl/Shift/S
      • § Save in :          Choose destination  (this will be made standard)
      • § File name:       Shots1-2 (then Shots1-3, Shots1-4 . . . Shots1-n)
      • § Format:           PNG
      • Save
  • Repeat selecting next level up thru top level.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Have you tried using Layer comps for this? Each stage could be saved as a layer comp, then these can be exported as individual files?

Photoshop layer comps

Hope this helps,

Angie Taylor | http://www.creativecabin.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to script that. An Action could only do that if all document had the same layer stack and layer names.  The Layers would need to be selected by names and the names would be recorded in the actions steps.  The Photoshop shortcut keys to select layers relatively only selects visible layers.  If you select a visible layer relatively and then turn off the current layer visibility than select an visible layers you will not be able to select the layer you turn off its visibility again in the action unless you select it by name in the action. It is a pitfall that is easy to fall into creating actions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, thanks for your quick reply.  However, I don't fully understand.  I don't want to turn off visibility of any layer; only to turn on visibility of the layer above.  If scripts are the only solution, I guess I'm out of luck because that's "above my pay grade".

I don't think I explained my objective clearly.  Just to restate . . .

( ) Layer 2

(*) Layer 1      visible & active

Play Action which will SaveAs the visible layer(1) to PNG & make the next layer up (2) visible too  & active.

(*) Layer 2     visible & active

(*) Layer 1      visible

If necessary I will play the action multiple times, moving up 1 layer each time, depending on the number of layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are a different number of layers  and different layer namses in your documents you will need to script it your process.

If all the documents have the same number of layers and the same layer names in the same stacking order you can create an action. The action has to select layer by the names if the layer visibility is off to start with.  The Action would also save the same files every time it is played for the name will be recorded in the save as steps.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Download

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you mentioned was wanting to have the names be sequential and not lose the previous version. You can make sure to have selected:  As A Copy in the save options when creating the action. This will create the sequence naming for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving multiple files in an action is also a problem area in Actions. The filename would be recorded into the save steps and  overlay existing files.  The Action will always save the same files.  To do what you want to do will require scripting Photoshop it you want an automated process.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if it is a Save As step versus a Save step? The Save As would allow for the Save As Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "As a Copy" turns off when I try to save as PNG.  "Copy" suffix appends to the filename initially (when the default extension is .psd), but disappears when I select PNG as Format.  That happens even if I merge all the visible layers and delete all the invisible layers, leaving only 1 layer.  And I get the "file already exist, do you want to overwrite it" message with no chance to change.  It looks like "As a Copy" doesn't work for  PNG (in actions or otherwise). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Layer comps for this? Each stage could be saved as a layer comp, then these can be exported as individual files?

Photoshop layer comps

Hope this helps,

Angie Taylor | http://www.creativecabin.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Angie, for the Layer Comps suggestion.  Although the creation of the individual Layer Comps can't be automated (for the reasons that caused me to start this thread), Layer Comps seems to do exactly what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to be able to help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing that can be useful when using Actions is to put "Stops" In place, these allow you to make selections during the Action. It may be that you can automate some of the process, just adding stops where a selection needs to take place. The action can then be continued after the selection is made. I'm thinking that this would allow you to select layers or comps during the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop messages stop the actions so they can be started again after the action stop step.  There are also interactive steps that put you in control to perform a step recorded in the action either way these actions require user intervention and are not appropriate for batching,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true but he has said that he can't use the batch feature anyway so this could be a way of making the Layer comp technique quicker 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer comps and export layer comps to files will surly work.  It is as they wrote a manual process to set the layer comps up to begin with.  A script could process any simple layer stack in layer stack order to show how layer stack up to  create the final composure.     Layer comps can be used to do much more they have many features and can capture  snapshots of layer combinations and positions.  Layer comps are powerful.   Someday I may even use them.

Scripting Photoshop is not easy at least it is not easy for me.  I find it to be work and only script Photoshop when I need too. Or the script needed would be trivial.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Stops" might be a way to automate the  process. I've never used "Stops".  I'll need to look into that later when time allows.  My initial thought is not elegant, but maybe I could have an action loop (if that's possible) or repeat the same steps (run another action), say 25 times, stopping between times.  While stopped, I could make the next layer visible and continue.  When all layers have been used, simply "Esc" to end execution.  As I said, it's not elegant, but wouldn't that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds doable and definitely worth a try! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even using stops you would also need to use an interactive save as step in the action to be able to name the files you want to save. Actions can not vary the names of files they need to save  without using a script or interactive step.

If you want to automate your process well you really would need to script your process.  Scripts can use logic to loop through layers and also have some file naming convention programmed in. 

For a simple stack of layers where all layers will be visible in the end the scripting required would not be very complex.  The script would loop through the layers stack twice the first time turn off all layers visibility except the bottom layer. Save the first output png file then proceed up the layer stack a layer at a time turn on the layers visibility and save a png . Repeat that process till all layers are visible and a png file for each stack level has been saved.

It is not a complex process but can not be automated using a Photoshop action. Photoshop scripting could be used to automate the process.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As you said, "Scripting Photoshop is not easy at least it is not easy", even for you. I know nothing at all about scripting & my current project doesn't justify my putting in the tremendous effort to learn at this time.  Currently, w/o action or script, I'm able to use Layer Comps & then send them all to files (with different filenames).  That is my main objective.  Very few clicks are involved.  My idea (which I won't even attempt to implement until after this project is done & then only if time permits) is to use an Action to create a Layer Comp with a "stop".  Then with a couple of keystrokes I should be able to "select" next layer & resume action processing (create another Layer Comp).

Thanks for your comments & suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines