Exit

Daisy Chaining

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2008 Nov 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I tried to daisy chain two project :

Edit - preferences - project - start and end - Action : Open other Project. And i chose the .cp file of the second project.

The thing is that when my first project finish, it close and the second one open in a new window

How can I avoid this ....

Thanks
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Armand

What output format did you select? .EXE?

If so, there is no way to prevent the .EXE from opening the new instance.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious for a better explanation (also). What was it that you expected, armand? If the output of both projects was EXE, there has to be time for Flash Player to close and reopen with the 2nd (daisy-chained) project, and I assume this is what you are describing, right?

On the other hand, if your output of both projects is SWF (with HTML included), then there should not be a "closing-then-re-opening" delay like you are describing.

Last thought: The "delay" the end user sees (assuming "standalone" output) may be more or less, or even almost unnoticeable, depending on the end-user's available resources in terms of RAM, video capability, etc., etc. - this delay can also be affected by the size of the projects, "size" meaning physical size in pixels as well as other factors such as number of slides, number and complexity of interactivity and so on, and so on, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the output of both projects is EXE

The big problem that I have is : as the window should be close and open, the users will not be able to see the total duration of the presentation (as i will probably have more than 10 projects "Daisy Chaining")

In fact my problem is that the demonstration that i'm trying to do should be around 30 min. So I'm trying to find the best way to have something welldone for my users

thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"will not be able to see the total duration of the presentation "

I mean, in the progress bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the START AND END option is set to start the next project, the only reason I can think for it to open the SWF/HTM is if that is the only available file. Make sure the EXE for the next project is available in the same folder as the prior one, and that you haven't made the error of outputting any of them as anything other than "Standalone".

As far as "progress" is concerned, the progress bar on the playbar will never give you the overall progress for a group of projects, only for the one that is currently playing. There is no way (within Captivate) to see overall progress of a group of "set" of files.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thanks for your help

Do you have any others ideas on how i can make a projet (demonstration) of 10 min (one project)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "physical" size is your project? That is, what is the width and height in pixels? By keeping those dimensions to as little as possible without losing content or context of the project you are demonstrating, and by setting the "video quality" to something less than "High" (I recommend "Standard" when possible) and by keeping the number of objects on each slide to just those necessary to convey the instruction, it should be possible to do a ten (10) minute demo on a single project.

Of course, it is generally preferable to use SWF/HTM as the output as well, but because you want to produce executables, by all means, give the EXE a try. That is about the best I can offer in the way of advice, based on what I know about your project. Best wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks,
I'll try to follow your advice.

But what is the maximum size of one project.
To determine the maximum, which reference is important : le project's size or the number of slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. I will try to do a better job of explaining what I mean. The most important consideration to the computer is file-size in bytes. And doing the things I suggested (striving for smaller physical size, and fewer unneeded objects, etc.) is the way to keep the "binary" file-size (bytes) lower.

You want to run a lengthy demonstration (in actual time), which means more slides, so I was looking for ways to allow more slides while keeping the binary file-size small enough to run well on the computer. The tips I gave you were intended to accomplish that.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources