• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a Canon 70D JPEG as 16 bit?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Canon 70D gives me a 14 bit JPEG but when I open it in PS CC it becomes 8bit. After opening it as 8 bit if I convert it to 16 bit in Image Mode will it actually becomes 16 bit because I believe it loses all the info when it is initially opened as 8bit. Is there a way that I can open the 14 bit JPEG as 16 bit directly ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14 bit jpeg - are you sure?

The Canon 70D will output a 14 bit Raw file which can be opened by camera raw and converted to a 16 bit file.  As far as I am aware the jpeg file specification is limited to 8 bit/12 bit (although most applications use only 8 bit).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it shoot RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the others said, there's no such thing as a 14-bit jpeg. The 12-bit jpeg spec is single channel (grayscale) - otherwise it's strictly 8 bits per channel.

To open raw files as 16bpc into Photoshop, click the "link" below the main image window in ACR. This opens the workflow options where among other things you set bit depth. This setting is sticky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your reply however I have noticed that when I shoot with RAW & JPEG, my images gets grainy in RAW whereas JPEG comes out without any grain.

Can you please comment on that. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

The settings when you initially open a Raw file are just starting settings. You need to adjust the sliders to "develop" the file the way you want it. If you are seeing grain then you may need to add noise reduction (although the best way to avoid it is to keep the ISO as low as possible in camera).

A jpeg has had these adjustments applied already , in camera, but of course you then have no control over them.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines