• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing images in Photoshop from Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit a photo from Lightroom in Photoshop but the option is greyed out. I've searched the forum and the internet that suggests I uninstall and re-install PS. I've now done this twice and still the option is greyed out. Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

I've found the solution! I'm kinda kicking myself as its obvious now. I'm using smart previews so I can remove my original files and speed up my workflow. I've just reattached the external hard drive containing the original images and voila, I can now edit in PS. Thanks for the help guys, it was much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the same with Lightroom. I believe it's a Lightroom-resident script that runs this command.

And of course - Lightroom and ACR must be in version sync. If you're on CC and everything is kept updated that shouldn't be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes I thought about reinstalling LR too but hesitated as I've got quite a few of my own specific presets. Will uninstalling LR delete thsee also or is there a way of saving them? Yes I'm on CC so everything up to date as far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I would do as suggested by D.Fosse and reinstall Lightroom. However if you really are reluctant to do this, try adding your current version of Photoshop as an "Additional External Editor" in Lightroom Preferences>External Editing

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've tried adding PS as an additional external editor as you suggest davescm but unfortunately that is now greyed out too

Edit: OK i've now uninstalled and reinstalled LR too.  Edit in PS is still greyed out. I'm at a loss...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was frustrating. I closed down and reopened my Mac after uninstalling and reinstalling both PS and LR and lo and behold, the option to edit in PS is there. Hurrah. Only thing was that when I clicked on it nothing happened and when i went back to the edit in option its greyed out again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the CC desktop app, sign out and back in.

Just out of curiosity, have you uninstalled any older PS versions, leaving the newer ones in place? This can sometimes mess up the registry, leaving orphaned pointers to those older versions. Adobe keeps saying this is not a problem, but I know from experience it can be...

EDIT: Oh, see you're on Mac, so no registry. Still...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the solution! I'm kinda kicking myself as its obvious now. I'm using smart previews so I can remove my original files and speed up my workflow. I've just reattached the external hard drive containing the original images and voila, I can now edit in PS. Thanks for the help guys, it was much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Thanks for reporting back. In any case it's a real issue for some, so at least we have the standard procedure on record.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is something I would not have thought of

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines