Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC Memory Problem

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I am running Acrobat DC on an iMac 2010 model, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16gb of ram. I keep getting out of memory messages and the Mac is sluggish

especially when Acrobat DC is open. This problem has only recently started. I tried a wee test, I disconnected the ethernet cable so I was not attached to the network or the internet.

Strangely the Mac had as new lease of life.

See the memory usage with Activity Monitor:

No Network.png

After about 15 minutes I plugged the ethernet cable back in, so I had internet access again.

See the memory usage again below:

Network Plugged In.png

The Mac was back to being slow again. If I left Acrobat DC open the 'Out of memory' error would appear again.

I have reinstalled Acrobat DC but this did not cure the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Thank you Karl but the link is dead.

MY SOLUTION was to downgrade to Acrobat Pro XI.

Follow the link for walkthrough. Acrobat DC uninstalled Acrobat XI | How to get Acrobat XI back

PDF TOOLBOX and PITSTOP installed and everything is working as expected.

Acrobat Pro DC is a nightmare from the begining. I don't know anybody that is happy with the change from previous Acrobat release. Working in production for a printer since 20+ years I know what I am walking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael Tully,

As per the description above, you are getting an Out Of Memory Error in Acrobat DC, Is that correct?

Please try the steps from the following thread: Out of memory error in Acrobat DC

Try to disable the Protected View feature for PDFs from: Protected View feature for PDFs (Windows), Adobe Reader

* NOTE: Disabling the Protected View is only for testing purpose, please enable it back. It is not suggested to keep the Protected mode off due to security issues.

You may try to reset the preferences and check: How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately this did not solve the issue. I had specified in my question that I was using an iMac, two of the solutions given were for a Windows PC. So I tried deleting the preferences. Acrobat ran well for about 10 minutes, however the memory pressure was increasing again, leading to a slow down.

Please see screen grabs from Activity Monitor,

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 09.30.51 2.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 09.30.51 3.png

The Memory used by Acrobat DC is even more than before. Is there anything else I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to show you the error message I get -

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 11.11.11.png

This was the memory usage in Activity Monitor:

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.43.52 2.png

Please note the error does not happen when Acrobat DC is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I am having exactly identical issues here, running an imac retina 5k late 2014 with 16gbs ram,  and running pitstop with acrobat.

(Although with or without pitstop running it does the same thing).

This only started last week and there have been no hardware or software changes to my system... unless adobe acrobat has done some sort of update in the past week?

And my system does the same... after a small amount of time acrobat pro dc will be paused and then anything else I have running, which then requires a machine restart.

The only way to stop it is to restart acrobat every hour or so, even If I have not done anything with it, it just keeps bloating out and using all the ram available.

Why is this just started and what is the cause?

And also here, this only happens with acrobat running. I have never had a memory issue at all on this computer until this past week, and now it is constant and seems to be solely due to acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gwendaw7112309,

Thanks for the reply, I am using Pitstop Pro too, but this does not affect machine performance. As with yourself this memory problem started only recently. Surely someone out there has a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I have mentioned it on a forum I am on but they are not yet on the same update to Acrobat that I seem to have (mostly USA Based users).

I could be completely wrong but I suspect an update has changed things and the south pacific (which is where I am) often seems to be the place where they try stuff out first to see if it works.

Hopefully a nice adobe person will be along to explain it? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe I am awaiting your reply with interest…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael Tully,

I tried replicating the issue at own end, but was not able to replicate it as the Acrobat DC is working without any issue.

Please uninstall the Acrobat DC, run the Uninstaller file from the  Application menu.

Then remove all the Acrobat folders from system and user profile(Mac OS).

Restart the computer and reinstall the Acrobat DC from Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have uninstalled and re-installed Acrobat DC and Enfocus Pitstop Pro 17, this has not solved the "System has run out of Memory" problem, please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael Tully,

If you have any security software installed, please disable it temporarily and check. If the issue still persists, please check it in the root account. Enable the Root account and check.

You can disable the root account later.

Keep us posted with the results.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone seen this problem without PitStop installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue myself with an iMac 27'' 2014, El Capitan. Using Acrobat Pro DC with PitStop 2017 and PDF toolbox installed.

Looking at the memory usage, it keep increasing without touching the application until it reach the maximum RAM and then paused the apps.

We have other Mac station without this issue. I can't find what is causing this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you give it a try without Pitstop if you've run out of other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very easy way to run without 3rd party plug-ins is to go into Acrobat's preferences, then select the "General" category and turn on "Use only certified plug-ins" - only Adobe's own plug-ins are certified, so no 3rd party plug-in will load.

2017-09-18_14-02-40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Karl and "Test Screen Name" and thank you for your suggestion. It still happen without the plugins (Pitstop and PDF ToolBox).  You can see here in the activity monitor that Acrobat Pro DC is growing his memory usage up to 61,08Go and still going up without any open documents at this moment. We had to quit Acrobat before other applications turn into Paused mode.

Station27_Acrobat_DC_mem_usage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case - unless somebody form Adobe can chime in - your best bet to get Adobe's attention is to file a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Karl but the link is dead.

MY SOLUTION was to downgrade to Acrobat Pro XI.

Follow the link for walkthrough. Acrobat DC uninstalled Acrobat XI | How to get Acrobat XI back

PDF TOOLBOX and PITSTOP installed and everything is working as expected.

Acrobat Pro DC is a nightmare from the begining. I don't know anybody that is happy with the change from previous Acrobat release. Working in production for a printer since 20+ years I know what I am walking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, and the link works for me. Keep in mind that Acrobat XI support will end in a few weeks: Adobe Acrobat XI and Adobe Reader XI End of Support | Adobe Document Cloud

This means that there is no way around Acrobat DC in the long term. I don't like the UI either (and I am fondly looking back to the days of Acrobat 5, which was reliable, and had a very straight forward UI), but in order to help Adobe with getting the bugs out of DC, it's important that we report them when we find them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Karl, I have also installed Acrobat XI as a test, I will let you know what happens…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl, Pascal, Gwendaw - I installed Acrobat XI and have been using it along with Pitstop 2017. There have been no problems with System Memory and the iMac I am using is more responsive than before. There have not been as many 'spinning beachballs' as before.

I have added my vote to gwendaw7112309'sreport so hopefully Adobe will look into this. Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported this just in case anyone wants to add their vote to it

Acrobat CC excessive Ram usage – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has anyone looked into the tracker preferences in Acrobat DC (2015) pro. I am having the same problems as Michael. I changed the tracker preferences to suspend tracking and the memory problem seems to have gone away. Has anyone tried this?

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 2.41.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines