Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessible PDF Instead of Accessible Adobe Captivate Course

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

So I've read multiple discussions about creating accessible courses in Captivate and I know it's hard and it takes away from the awesome interactive content that can actually be created in Captivate.

So I've decided to go with most of the suggestions and create an accessible PDF to accompany the courses. So, when I create the PDF, how would I incorporate the quiz? I will publish the courses with Adobe Connect and they will have some simple True/False, Multiple Choice quizzes. Would I also incorporate those quizzes into the PDFs with a radio button? I know it's possible, but then I don't know how the reporting would work. Or do I leave the quizzes out of the accessible PDF?

Thanks so much for your help, guys! And happy labor day.

Nat

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, no answer? Does no one have any experience with accessible PDFs to accompany a Captivate course? Please? Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're using "accessible" in the same way I'd expect. Accessibility is nothing to do with interactivity. What do you mean by it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're probably right. So, my question has actually evolved. I meant 508-compliant courses. I've created a course in Adobe Captivate, and since I can't make the course fully 508-compliant, I would like to create an accompanying PDF instead, which would represent course in a 508-compliant way, which means all the content is represented in the PDF.

I meant 508-compliant courses. I've created a course in Adobe Captivate, and since I can't make the course fully 508-compliant, I would like to create an accompanying, accessible PDF instead, which would represent course in a 508-compliant way, which means all the content is represented in the PDF.

Now, the course has a quiz. I understand I would have to also put the quiz into the PDF. Would it be okay to add the quiz without radio buttons, but with the answers already chosen? Would that make it 508-compliant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate does have accessibility features and capabilities that enable compliant courses to be developed.  What is it you feel that Captivate can't do for your needs?

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Yes, Captivate does have accessibility features, but it's not fully 508-compliant. It has it's irks and twirks that render it not suitable for the project. That's why we want to create accessible PDFs, so that we can concentrate on other things in the course.

Nat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm reading in Adobe Captivate's VPAT that it doesn't handle Radio buttons in Multiple Choice and True/False quizzes well..  This is one of the "Supports with exceptions" issues.  Maybe this is the problem. 

"The second radio button in the Multiple Choice and True/False quizzes cannot be selected...The sequence quiz options cannot be moved using the keyboard.... The radio buttons are not properly grouped for the True/False and Multiple Choice quizzes. "

There a few other issues with Captivate accessibility and a number of items are marked "Supports with exceptions." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create accessible FORMS with radio buttons, checkboxes, etc. In Acrobat.  Whether or not this will meet your needs I don't know as I don't and haven't worked with Captivate. I would assume it would be sophisticated enough to evaluate the responses -- and perhaps give feedback to the user?  Don't know.  But that might or might not be possible in Acrobat PDF.  Perhaps someone could write an accessible Javascript that would evaluate the results of a form field.  Don't know what your needs are other than radio buttons so it's hard to say. Forms can be designed to be submitted so the results are outputted (such as to an email).  One of the other forums on here can address that issue more fully than this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines