• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Controlling the currentframe of a movieclip based off of position of another movieclip on the stage - html createjs

Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use one movieclip's position to control the frame number of another movieclip?

I have two movieclip's on my stage - one called 'handle' and one called 'plane'. The plane MC has 63 frames in it and I would like to move through the frames by dragging the handle MC up and down. I have already set up a bounding box for the 'handle' and set it up to be able to drag it up and down along the y axis with this code: (thanks to another forum user for helping me with this code in an earlier post: Createjs - dragging an object within a bounding box )

var handleHeight = 20; //actually half the height

var bounds = {x:623, y:212, width:143, height:283};

var sliderBoundary = new createjs.Shape();

sliderBoundary.graphics.beginStroke("#999")

.setStrokeStyle(2)

.drawRect(bounds.x, bounds.y, bounds.width, bounds.height);

this.stage.addChild(sliderBoundary);

this.handle.addEventListener("pressmove", fl_MouseClickHandler_2.bind(this));

function fl_MouseClickHandler_2(evt){

evt.currentTarget.y = Math.max(bounds.y + handleHeight, Math.min(bounds.y + bounds.height - handleHeight, evt.stageY));

}

this.handle.x = 704;

this.handle.y = bounds.y + bounds.height / 2;

From here, I've figured out how to adjust the 'plane' MC frame based off of static positions of the handle - I have a function for when the handle is at the top of the bounding box and one for when it's at the bottom, here is how that code looks:

this.stage.addEventListener("tick", planetop.bind(this));

function planetop(){

if (this.handle.y <= 233){

this.lift.plane.gotoAndStop(63);

this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(63);

}

}

this.stage.addEventListener("tick", planebottom.bind(this));

function planebottom(){

if (this.handle.y >= 472) {

this.lift.plane.gotoAndStop(61);

this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(61);

}

}

but what I would like to do is have 'plane' (I have another MC called 'heli', the user can toggle between the two with some other buttons) move evenly through it's 63 frames based on the position of the 'handle' y axis - having it stop at frame 63 when the handle is at the top and stop at frame 1 when the handle is at the bottom (I hope this makes sense). I'm not a coder and not very good with math so any help with how to accomplish this would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

keelym35886708  wrote

Thank you for the response!

I'm trying to utilize this code, but I'm a little confused on some sections. For the initialize part - is handle position 1 and handle position 2 referring to the y axis coordinates for when the handle is at it's top limit and bottom limit? For 0 is that meant to just be 0?

handle position 1 is handle's y value/position that causes plane to be at its first frame

handle position 2 is handle's y value/position that causes plane to be at its last fram

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use paramF for linear interpolation:

// initialize

paramF(this.handle,handle position 1, 0, handle position2, this.plane.totalFrames-1);

// to use

this.plane.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));

}

function paramF(mc,x1,y1,x2,y2){

mc.m=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2);

mc.b=y1-mc.m*x1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to utilize this code, but I'm a little confused on some sections. For the initialize part - is handle position 1 and handle position 2 referring to the y axis coordinates for when the handle is at it's top limit and bottom limit? For 0 is that meant to just be 0?

Then in the function paramF section - for x1 and x2 I'm not sure what to enter, since the x axis number doesn't change on my handle mc. I'm assuming the 'mc' is meant to be replaced by this.handle (?)

I can't seem to get the code to work, clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keelym35886708  wrote

handle position 1 is handle's y value/position that causes plane to be at its first frame

handle position 2 is handle's y value/position that causes plane to be at its last frame

Then in the function paramF section - for x1 and x2 I'm not sure what to enter, since the x axis number doesn't change on my handle mc. I'm assuming the 'mc' is meant to be replaced by this.handle (?)

don't change anything in in paramF or anywhere other than replacing handle position 1 and 2 with the correct y values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got it working, THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a very similar situation -- needed a scroll bar to control a movie clip.

This thread is incredibly helpful, and timely.

Was able to get the plane to stop at the extremes, but was not able to get it to step through the plane movie clip.  both movie clips vanish. Only thing I can figure out is I must be screwing up when it comes to swapping out the handle position 1 and handle position 2 values that you talk about in one of your previous responses.  So is it supposed read something like this (within the area of the bounding box):

paramF(this.handle,234, 470, this.plane.totalFrames-1);

Otherwise, does the placement of the initialize and functions change anything?  Tried different combinations, but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I ended up writing it getting it to work properly was -

paramF(this.handle, y=233, 0, y=475, this.lift.plane.totalFrames-1);  // my plane movieclip is embedded in another MC called lift

then I added the function part -

this.lift.plane.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));

this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));

inside of my original "pressmove" event listener for my handle. So my final eventListener for handle looked like -

evt.currentTarget.y = Math.max(bounds.y + handleHeight, Math.min(bounds.y + bounds.height - handleHeight, evt.stageY));

this.lift.plane.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));

this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));

}

Hope that helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm.

Still seems to blow up whenever I uncomment out the paramF(this.handle, y=233, 0, y=472, this.plane.totalFrames-1);

So, in it's entirety the script should look something like the following?

var handleHeight = 20; //actually half the height 
var bounds = {x:623, y:212, width:143, height:283}; 

var sliderBoundary = new createjs.Shape(); 
sliderBoundary.graphics.beginStroke("#999") 
.setStrokeStyle(2) 
.drawRect(bounds.x, bounds.y, bounds.width, bounds.height); 
this.stage.addChild(sliderBoundary); 

paramF(this.handle, y=233, 0, y=472, this.plane.totalFrames-1);

this.plane.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));
//this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.y+this.handle.b));
}

this.handle.x = 704; 

function planetop(){ 
this.plane.gotoAndStop(63); 
//this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(63); 

function planebottom(){ 
this.plane.gotoAndStop(61); 
//this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(61); 

function paramF(mc,x1,y1,x2,y2){

mc.m=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2);

mc.b=y1-mc.m*x1
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you keep trying to assign to y in your call to paramF? That variable doesn't even exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the first error i see is:

should be:

paramF(this.handle, 233, 0, 472, this.plane.totalFrames-1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really  know code, but I have it written like -

paramF(this.handle, y=233, 0, y=475, this.lift.plane.totalFrames-1);

in my project and it works. My guess is it may be something to do with your bit of code:

function planebottom(){ 

}

I'm only guessing that since I don't have that event listener or function in my project and mine is working. But I couldn't tell you why that would be messing it up. Does it work if you take that out? For my movieclips (plane and heli) I have them revealed by two buttons. I set their visibility to false until the buttons are clicked which toggles their visibility on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just tested writing it like -

paramF(this.handle, 233, 0, 475, this.lift.plane.totalFrames-1);

and it still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know who's talking to whom, but this is wrong:

and this is unrelated to anything in this thread:

function planebottom(){

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was able to get it going.  Works great.

Rebuilt the project from scratch, so wasn't sure exactly what the hangup was.

Now if I wanted to go the other way is there an easy way to do that?

In addition to the slider had a play button that triggered the movie clip.  Of course when you play the movie clip via the play button the slider has no idea what's going on and gets lost behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, to go from frame to slider position:

this.handle.y=(this.plane.currentFrame-this.handle.b)/this.handle.m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aren't I already telling the handle where to go here:

this.handle.x = 704; 

function planetop(){ 
this.plane.gotoAndStop(63); 
//this.lift.heli.gotoAndStop(63); 

Was trying to make it so that you could hit the play button and the slider would move along like a play head, or alternatively you'd could scroll through the movie moving the slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your code may do what you want, but it does not conform to a linear relationship between two variables like one objects y position and another movieclip's frame to display, so i don't know what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad,

Not sure exactly what you meant by the previous response.

Tried the code you'd supplied last week -- this.handle.y=(this.plane.currentFrame-this.handle.b)/this.handle.m -- but it wasn't working.  My guess was either I'd placed it in the wrong spot, or there was more to it, like I had to build a listener that would be constantly monitoring the progress of the timebar movieclip and updating the slider's progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that code needs to execute whenever handle's y property changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kglad!

Got it working with:

this.stage.addEventListener("tick", moveslider.bind(this)); 
function moveslider(){ 

this.handle.x=(this.circuit.currentFrame-this.handle.b)/this.handle.m;
//

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're missing one parameter.  this is a simple linear function defined by two points:

m(234)+b is mapped to 0 (the first frame in a canvas movieclip)

m(470)+b is mapped to the last frame (totalFrames-1 in a canvas movieclp)

so using:

paramF(this.handle,234,0,470,this.plane.totalFrames-1);

defines this.handle.m and this.handle.b such that:

this.handle.m*234+this.handle.b=0; // and

this.handle.m*470+this.handle.b=this.plane.totalFrames-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone runs into the issue I was having, what was happening was that the stage was scaling but the mouse coordinates weren't.

The fix was:

var p=this.globalToLocal(evt.stageX, evt.stageY);

var p=this.globalToLocal(evt.stageX, evt.stageY);

evt.currentTarget.x = Math.max(bounds.x + handleDistance, Math.min(bounds.x + bounds.width - handleDistance, p.x));

//  evt.currentTarget.x = Math.max(bounds.x + evt.currentTarget.regX,

// Math.min(bounds.x + bounds.width - handleDistance + evt.currentTarget.regX, evt.stageX));

this.circuit.gotoAndStop(Math.round(this.handle.m*this.handle.x+this.handle.b));

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks montana,

I've been playing with the registration point on my movieclip and it's in the same place at the movieclip level and inside the movieclip at the graphic level. I'm still having the issue, so I'm not sure where I'm slipping up . . I even made an entirely new movieclip just to reset everything. I'm not doing a scaling stage or responsive stage or anything so I don't think it's anything to do with that . . I'm going to keep experimenting and see what I can find.

One thing I found that's interesting is that I'm using the pressmove function on the movieclip to control another movieclip's timeline - and even when the mouse is above the my sliding moveclip by a decent amount, if I move it up and down the second movieclip that is being controlled will go through it's timeline as if I was 'pressmoving' the slider movieclip . . I checked the bounding box, but it's not any larger than my graphic within the movieclip . . will keep trying things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines