Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Range Layer Mask Not Fully Masking to Black/White

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am encountering some issues when using the color range command to select a layer mask. Here are a few screenshots that explain what I tried to do:

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.12.11 PM.png

Selection using the color range tool.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.11.45 PM.png

Marching ants apparently show a perfect selection.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.12.28 PM.png

But after applying the mask, there are clearly areas that were not selected.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.12.35 PM.png

This is what the mask looks like. Areas are shown to be gray.

Please explain why color range is doing this. My foreground/background colors have been set to absolute black and absolute white. I checked the marching ants selection and did not find any missed spots. Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

The marching ants only show the border between 50% selected or not. The selection or mask itself is an 8-bit alpha channel, and can have any tone of gray in it.

What I often do in situations like this is to run Image > Adjustments > Levels on the mask channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The marching ants only show the border between 50% selected or not. The selection or mask itself is an 8-bit alpha channel, and can have any tone of gray in it.

What I often do in situations like this is to run Image > Adjustments > Levels on the mask channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Levels will work fine, the snag is you slightly change the original selection making it more jagged. Another method that seems to be gaining popularity is to take the 'magic wand' and set the tolerance to 0, antialiasing and contiguous to off  like below

mwt.png

Now alt or option click the mask thumbnail and click on the black in the mask with the wand tool. As Tolerance is set to '0' only one color-pure black -gets selected. Now press ctrl-I or command-I and the selection inverts capturing everything that is not black. Then all you do is with a big brush and black as the foreground color , paint on the mask. This will usually allow all the grey tones in the mask to be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah this worked thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Think simple is what I say, just paint out the small leftovers. In this particular example, 15 seconds max, done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines