• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering still doesn't work on with Nikon D7100

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems there are a lot of threads about how the Nikon D7100 has issues tethering with Lightroom.

I've gone through all the suggested remedies for restarting, replugging, removing memory cards, upgrading software, firmware, and operating system and nothing.  The D7100 is recognized as an import source, but LR doesn't recognize the camera as a tethered camera.  Lame.

This is MacOS 10.12.6 on a 13" 2016 Macbook Pro.  Lightroom 6.12.

Can anyone point me in the direction of this being a MacOS issue, a Lightroom issue, or a Nikon.  From the looks of previous posts, this has been a ridiculously persistent issue.  Isn't this 2017?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

I believe you need to have a card inserted, but it's best if there aren't any images on that card. Otherwise, Lightroom has to sort through all of the existing images first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to have a card inserted, but it's best if there aren't any images on that card. Otherwise, Lightroom has to sort through all of the existing images first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it is crazy that works.  Yes, thanks for the quick reply.  Why would it work like that?  I suppose as soon as the host operating system sees photos on there, it takes over and doesn't give LR a chance to take tether control.  Nikon/Adobe/Apple should really write that up as a solution.  Nuts.

Thank you, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A YouTube video that expands on Jim's advice in Post#1 above-

3 Tips for Shooting Tethered into Lightroom - YouTube

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm..

I have a Nikon D610 with an empty memory card in the slot, tethered to a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)  via a Hyper Drive, running IOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445].

It's not detecting my camera so I'm not able to tether. However, when using Smart Shooter 3, it is working.

I have tried connecting it to a Macbook Air and no issues there either.

Any ideas besides switching over to Smart shooter 3, or Macbook Air, for tether shoots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it'll make any difference, but 1014445 is not the current release of Lightroom. It is the initial release of Lightroom CC 2015/Lightroom 6. You might consider updating to the latest update and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's weird because I paid for the creative cloud and I just checked for updates but all apps seem to be up to date.

I've uninstalled Lightroom, and have it back installed via the creative cloud app but still getting the same version number. So if I don't have the latest version how coming Adobe is not updating my Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not uninstall.!

You need the base version  CC2015.0  installed, and CC can then do the 'Update' to CC2015.12

Open the CC Desktop App, click the cog wheel, and [Check for App updates]

If the App still says you have the 'latest', try signing-out and signing-in, and check again.

If the Update refuses to work then manually download the Update-

Download Photoshop Lightroom

ScreenShot334.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried signing out and in, and still saying it's up to date.

Next I downloaded the update, but when running it I'm getting "update failed" and something that updates are being suppressed by the administrator. But I'm the administrator 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now your problem is beyond my 'home user' knowledge.

And others have the same problem. Maybe time to Contact Support.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/what-is-wrong-with-the-lightroom-update-proce...

Re: Update failed. Updates have been supressed by the administrator ? How may I solve this?

Some sites mention "disabling auto updates" but I do not know if this is an answer!

Adobe: Please contact your Administrator if you wish to apply updates !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved. Because there are 2 library folders (one in the system and one in the user, you need to have the SYSTEM library and not the user (as sometimes mentioned in several threads).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since JimHess's excellent advice regarding the empty SD card, I've noticed my D7100 not go into "PC" mode with Lightroom on two occasions.  Once, I actually had to restart the Mac, suggesting some kind of MacOS driver hangup?  The other time, a different application was "holding onto" the camera, preventing Lightroom from establishing tethered mode.  I think it was Photos.app trying to mount the camera.  Since it does work with a different application, on the same tether cable, I you're probably right to suspect the issue being with LR or its install.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.. this did the trick for me. Somehow I had still iMovie open, and it tried to access my camera and was blocking the access from LR for the tethering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines