Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Affects Enable CUDA

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't seem to solve this issue, I have founds loads of videos explaining how to enable CUDA in affects however I can't seem to solve this. I have added my GeForce 980M GPU to the raytracersupportedcards.txt document in the After Affects supported files. However there are still greyed out sections in the GPU information section in After Affects preferences (please see picture attached).

After Effects is rendering slow and also say 'Display Acceleration Disabled' in the corner of the screen (See picture).

Any help would be great. Also is there a specific CUDA driver I need, or does the general  NVIDIA driver sufficient?

Sam

After Affects CUDA.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are asking. As per your screenshot CUDA is enabled and working just fine. Rather what's missing is proper OpenGL support. Regardless, none of that has anything to do with rendering speed. Safe for Raytrace 3D and a few effects AE doesn't use GPU acceleration for rendering and mostly relies on the main processor/ CPU. You have a fundamental misunderstanding here. the rest we can't know. You have not provided exact system info or any other useful details like what's going on in your project(s) that could potentially make them "slow".

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree, I don't understand any of this.

I have a Predator G9-592 Laptop:

I have a GeFore GTX 980M GPU

32GB RAM

i7-6700HQ CPU

Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVME (editing drive)

Im editing a videohive template with multiple video files and transitions. And after effects can't handle it, task manager says my CPU is about 25% when After Effects is trying to playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

Mylenium is right... After Effects uses the GPU only for some effects; it mostly uses the CPU.

This article sheds some light about GPUs and OpenGL: Rendering with OpenGL in After Effects CC

Moreover, the ray-traced 3D renderer is obsolete and no longer in development.

After Effects now has a new CINEMA 4D renderer that works much better for 3D. More information here: Create 3D text and logos with CINEMA 4D Composition Renderer

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rameez,

I will go through those articles. During render my CPU doesn't go beyond 25% usage so not sure how to enable it to it's full potential.

Cheers,

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sam,
Did you ever get your project finished? Let us know if you still need help.

During render my CPU doesn't go beyond 25% usage so not sure how to enable it to it's full potential.

Cheers,

Sam

CPU usage may vary according to different codecs. That's the explanation usually given. Sorry for the disappointment. Leave the team feedback about that here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines