• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted Cursor in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't verify if this is an issue with the upcoming version of macOS High Sierra (I've noticed it across several public betas), but the cursor will begin to act odd after switching between apps and InDesign 2017.1. When switching between other apps and InDesign, the regular arrow mouse cursor becomes to a box that changes depending on the the interaction with the page elements.  It takes a restart of InDesign to get the normal cursors/arrow back. Not sure if it's unique to switching between certain apps, but it's quite tricky to use once it acts up like this. No issues like this with any other Adobe apps. Anyone else on High Sierra have this issue?

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Hi everyone,

This issue has been resolved with the MacOS 10.13 Supplemental Update released today. Please update your OS if you're experiencing this issue with High Sierra.

pasted_image_at_2017_10_05_12_33_pm.png

Thanks,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here. Photoshop and Indesign seem okay so far, but Indesign's cursor is seriously jacked up. I'm running beta 17A358a.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched to High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A362a), which is supposed to be the final release before next week's public release. But as far as InDesign is concerned, High Sierra has been the Mojave Desert. I've tried everything suggested in this forum, and I still have to quit out of InDesign and restart it every couple of files.

I originally switched to InDesign 1.0 back at the beginning of time because Quark was making us use those ridiculous dongles. What morons. Now I'm starting to feel the same thing about Adobe and InDesign. They should have had this taken care of a few weeks after it was first reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Apple bug. Take it up with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? You mean Adobe isn't able to phone Apple and they haven't been able to find a solution for this in how many months? It's not like this is some obscure part of InDesign that people rarely use. This is the cursor.

As for being an apologist for Adobe, I feel no such need. I was the first publisher in the country to send a book to press that had been done in InDesign 1.0, back when people in the publishing world said I was nuts for doing so. I've been a strong backer of InDesign since the start. So if anyone has a right to say that Adobe has dropped the ball on this one, I think I'm in that group. And that's exactly what Adobe has done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude... You're using pre-release software. You shouldn't be running a beta on a mission critical machine, and you should fully expect bugs. Adobe will release an update once the final version of High Sierra drops on the 25th. It makes sense for Adobe to wait until the final release of macOS before releasing any new versions of Adobe CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, This would be the golden master of High Sierra five days before the public release. There are reasons I needed to upload it, otherwise, I would have waited. But I did a careful check first if there were problems with Adobe products and High Sierra, and the only one that kept coming up was Illustrator, which I don't need to use very often. The last thing I expected was the cursor to still be glitchy a few days before the public release in one of Adobe's top products--with the suggestions offered by an Adobe employee to fix it having no effect.

But hey, it's good to hear you've figured it all out, and thanks for the lecture!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have isolated this issue, it is present on MAC OS 10.13, and can occur anytime whenever cursor related functionality being used like placing/drag-drop/selection etc.

We are actively working with Apple on this issue to get it resolved as soon as possible. However, it may not get fixed with the GM build of High Sierra (10.13), but a subsequent Dot Release.

We will surely let our customer know, once we have more information from Apple.

Currently the only workarounds are:

1) Restart InDesign.

2) Revert back to MAC OS 10.12.6

[Edited response]

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's 10.13 and yes that fixed it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that fixed it for a while, now it's back to doing it again. I think it only happens if I move between CC applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same here. I turned off the GPU option in Prefs, restarted the app and eventually the bad cursors appear again. Will share anything else I notice about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, nothing seems to fix the problem, but looking forward to the fix. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. I've tried turning off the GPU option but no joy. Filed a BR with Apple so maybe they can coordinate with Adobe to track it down. No problems so far with Photoshop or Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the above post did not solve the issue and now InDesign is difficult to work on(offcourse) then please revert to 10.12.5 temporarily.

I hope this is not much of a problem... we will soon be fixing this. (If it is not an Apple issue)

I have not seen this happen with GPU turned off.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. I have to restart InDesign every 5-10 minutes to go back to a normal cursor, but then it comes back. Just FYI. Came here while searching for answers. Only InDesign, not seeing this in other Adobe CC apps (though I haven't tried many aside from Photoshop & Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing this. Running latest version of InDesign CC on macOS 10.13 Beta (17A360a). Extremely frustrating. FWIW, my machine does not support GPU Performance - it's off by default and I am still seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I filed a bug report with Apple using the Feedback Assistant and detailed the problem best I could. Since it's only happening with Beta users, it should be something they can get to the bottom of.

Are any of you others, with the issue, noticing that it mostly happens when you switch between apps and come back to InDesign? Seems if I stay within InDesign, the cursor stays okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried and couldn't see any problems. There have been a few beta updates since the topic was started. Is it still happening for you in 10.13 Beta (17A360a)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 17A360a and the bug is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Moving between apps seems to cause this issue. Specifically, using mission control to switch apps seems to trigger the bug for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue for a while now (also on the developer preview). Holding Ctrl + Alt + Command + Shift after clicking on InDesign clears the cache and seems to delay it happening a bit longer. I almost had a day without it! It is so annoying! Hopefully will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running MacOS 10.13 Beta (17A360a) here and I can report I'm having the same issue. Fingers crossed for a swift fix as it's becoming increasingly more frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it may well be an InDesign issue, it may very well be an O/S issue. I suggest reporting it to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In messages 7 and 10 you can see that both people reported to Apple. Mr E38 could do so too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course…the more the merrier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines