• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop text looks rough now--settings?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

text used to look smoother at any zoom level. are there any settings i'm missing?

there appears to be roughness on anything vector; here's an example of a Smart Object from Illustrator:

Capture2.JPG

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.1.1 20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00 CL 1113967  x64

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:13, Stepping:6 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, HyperThreading

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3302 MHz

Built-in memory: 32707 MB

Free memory: 2 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 29479 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem most likely is related the the size and resolution of your document.  For good quality text you need to edit a high resolution print size document.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, that first screenshot is over a thousand pixels wide in the document. should be plenty for detail and antialiasing purposes, but it's more about the display distortion. Photoshop used to render it smoothly at any zoom level for display. i should have noted that it exports and prints as you'd expect based on resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All we can see are the scale down  images the you posted. One is 455 pixels wide 77 pixels high with quite a bit of text the other 114 pixels wide with part of a large size character R.  Post the actual image so we can see the size and resolution you editing your document

A 1000 Px document wide would be good for a 3" wide print resolution document.

Photoshop zooms for performance not quality at some zoom percentages Photoshop scaling look awful.  You should only judge quality at 100% zoom when the images actual pixels are being displayed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but yeah, that's the point though. at 100% it displays smoothly. at other zoom levels it's a rough mess. vector stuff didn't used to be this bad, and if i rasterize it, it looks much better. is the rendering engine so different than Illustrator's and inDesign's for some reason? text in those is still perfectly smooth at any zoom level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop image is not resized size when you zoom it just quickly scaled to an other different image your not viewing you actual image at any zoom level other then 100%. You know this so why are you upset if you know your actual image is good.

AI is a vector application from the ground up. Photoshop is not. How AI zooms is unknown to me.  I do not install it. I do not want to learn an other complex Adobe product.

AI is Adobe vector editing application I do not know inDesign. I do not care if their scaling is better than Photoshop's scaling.  I know how Photoshop scaling works and what I can expect from it.  It does not upset me. I want good performance.

Photoshop may change some day. With todays powerful GPU Photoshop may be able to scale quicly and do it better. And have two way to scale with and without GPU support.

CRT can do vectors LCd can not  You need a good numbet if pixels to have good text on a display.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's great that you're satisfied. i don't work in print, so the viewability of these documents matters to me.
if anyone knows what "Font Preview: Medium" means (Help -> System Info) i'd appreciate it--wondering if a higher level would improve things, and how that's governed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If viewability matters work at 100% view and use a sufficient amount of pixels and a font that work well on displays at the size you want. Its your work created the way you expect it to be used.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm preeetty sure you're trying to be helpful JJMack, but nobody wants work at 100% constantly for lots of reasons i won't go into, and some of your help ventures into the amusing (LCD monitors are capable of displaying vectors just fine).

really hoping you'll encourage someone with deeper technical insights to chime in, because even my mail program displays text better than Photoshop is right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to get technical I can but you know better  LCD  display pixels they are manufactured with not electron beams like CRT in instruments like oscilloscopes and other devices  like old vector arcade games.

You know how Phptoshop works. Only Adobe can change the way Photoshop scales. Users here can not change that if you want Adobe to change please use Adobe site to for change request Photoshop Family Customer Community 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines