Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Multithreading

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can someone from Adobe let me know when AfterEffects will get multithreading feature for previews and rendering ? It's removed after CC2014 and I'm paying subscription for last 4 years and hoping it's gonna be included in next release but still nothing . How much more ?
My Dual Xeon workstation with 4 GPUs is not properly used in AE, It uses 3-4% of my CPU (40cores/80 Threads in total but AE use 1core) and with 10 layers/few easy text FADE effects my preview playback is whooping 1.5 FPS on 720p video and rendering 150 seconds (2.5 minutes) of such video takes 25-30 minutes to complete .

Please Adobe make AE use cores/GPUs properly like all modern apps nowdays.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Hi RAM-Studio,

Can someone from Adobe let me know when AfterEffects will get multithreading feature for previews and rendering ? It's removed after CC2014 and I'm paying subscription for last 4 years and hoping it's gonna be included in next release but still nothing . How much more ?

For a response from the product manager regarding the feature, Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously (Multiprocessing), see this thread: Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in fut…

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe won't breathe a word until it's time to release a new version.  I don't know of any software developer that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Your PC sounds powerful enough. Therefore, you can use a tricky way to launch After Effects. It is a multi-launch. You open Command Prompt (cmd.exe).

1. You type the command like this below.

cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files

and hit Enter key

2. You type the command like this.

AfterFX.exe -m

and hit Enter key.

You repeat the command of AfterFX.exe -m as much as you want to launch After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replyes guys

HidekiTakemura - will that still have 1 GUI and multiple afex.exe (like in old AE days where multithreading meant numerous of *.exe in task manager) and AA CC2017 will somehow know to distribute frames between exe files ?
Will then RAM usage become a problem since there is no settings per instance (like in old AE) where we tell each AEFX.exe how much RAM it can use before flushing/purging ? I have 128GB RAM but AE in this project sucks up easily over 35GB RAM.

DigitalSpatula - thanks for info, i'll check video/demo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And after I have multi instances of AE open, what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HidekiTakemura  wrote

Hello,

Your PC sounds powerful enough. Therefore, you can use a tricky way to launch After Effects. It is a multi-launch. You open Command Prompt (cmd.exe).

1. You type the command like this below.

cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files

and hit Enter key

2. You type the command like this.

AfterFX.exe -m

and hit Enter key.

You repeat the command of AfterFX.exe -m as much as you want to launch After Effects.

This is amazing! Soooo much faster!!

Thanks mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the proper command to run this on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!!

So, how is that any different than just sending it to the Media Encoder? Will it process faster if another AE Instance is opened? Or will that take more resources and away from the render?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right there with you!

Try this out. It works great for your kind of set up.

BG Renderer Pro - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Thx,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have you already changed the setting of this below?

Preferences > Memory > RAM reserved for other applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RAM-Studio,

For a response from the product manager regarding the feature, Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously (Multiprocessing), see this thread: Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will b...

I hope that answers your question.

Please Adobe make AE use cores/GPUs properly like all modern apps nowdays.

Let the team know here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for links Kevin.

I've sent Feature Request to the system and read/commented on that other topic.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines