Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black only Shadows in a RGB document

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

I noticed that I can place CMYK Smart objects within RGB documents and it retains the CMYK values ( when you open the smart object. My current WF is to create a CMYK file with Black only shadow for printing and a RGB file for everything else. I started thinking if I can create the shadow as a SMART object and place it into a RGB file it will retain its CMYK properties I can now use one file instead of 2 (and RGB files look better on our DAM). My issue comes in when I create a PDF from indesign ( Using the RGB file with CMYK smart Objects) it changes the black only shadow into 4 color. If I can get this to work it would save me a ton of time, server space etc. I have tried saving with and without profile, changing PDF profiles etc….does anyone know if it is possible….even if it requires a script I would be interested. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance for your time

Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

So are you saying it will work? And the rendering intent is screwing with it? You are saying it shows the separations as K only which is what I want. And even rasterizing the PDF will show a K only shadow.

This Is atleast the right idea, 

Only if your Test_KShadow document in also CMYK.

If you convert that document without merging or rasterizing the smart object, the smart object itself doesn't change, but it will change when you output or export the document holding the smart object. Check the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that I can place CMYK Smart objects within RGB documents and it retains the CMYK values ( when you open the smart object

I don't think it is possible. The smart objects can be different modes, but for output there can only be one mode and assigned color profile. Even saving as PDF/X-4 with no conversion results in all the objects converted into the file's color mode.

You can do it with InDesign. If you layer different mode Photoshop files and export as PDF/X-4, no conversion, the resulting PDF will maintain the different color modes. Or, you can place an RGB image and give it a CMYK black only drop shadow and export with no conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was shocked when I did it, let me tell you WHY I think its somehow retaining the CMYK color info. I do the CMYK smart object, save it as a RGB PSD file, reopen the file and tell the eyedropper to show me "actual" color, over the shadow it shows CMYK #'s over the object it shows RGB. Same Document....different color readings according to the eyedropper. Program anomaly? I dont know and would be happy to share the file if anyone's interested. Another weird thing we noticed ( Different File) in Bridge we had a file that showed a CMYK color space with a RGB profile...Leading me to believe somehow it might be retaining something  somewhere. If you could do it it would be a huge break through for asset management/designers everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tests show otherwise, the result is a CMYK black from the K only smart object in the RGB PSD.

This is as expected and I can’t duplicate your results.

Sorry to rain on the parade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As using the  PDF/X-4 preset which allows mixed color modes and check the mode in AcrobatPro. You can use Output Preview>Object Inspector to get the native color mode of any object in the PDF, or use Show to show and hide CMYK objects. I can't get a mix out of Photoshop. InDesign lets you spec different color modes and export them unchanged.

If Photoshop did allow mixed modes there would have to be a way to assign both an RGB and CMYK profile to a document. InDesign documents can be saved with both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get infront of my computer in the morning - and I'll post the screen grabs. Believe me I thought the same thing and so did my 5 retouchers. We all tried it and all got the same results. Where I am stuck - is the Indesign is obviously seeing it the RGB file as RGB despite it having a CMYK embedded via smart object. The PDF/x-4 sounds like the way to go...I was praying it would see through the "wrapper" and convert the RGB to CMYK and leave anything that was CMYK (Smart object) alone but havent tried it yet. I will let you know and post screens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Photoshop document can only have one color mode. An RGB file with an embedded CMYK smart object will always output as RGB.

However, readouts from the file can be any color mode. These are calculated from whatever working spaces you have set. This is why your K only black gets recalculated and turns into 4C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see the conversion into the document color mode more clearly if you put an RGB smart object into a CMYK doc. Here the green smart object is obviously an out-of-gamut RGB color which is being converted. The smart object opened in AI on the right:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.07.50 AM.png

Exported to PDF/X-4 no conversion, the green exports in the CMYK space:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.14.52 AM.png

InDesign can do what you want:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.17.14 AM.png

Exported as PDF/X-4 the objects remain unchanged. You can see the black is unchanged DeviceCMYK at 0|0|0|60 and the green is sRGB

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.26.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks to everyone for all your help and time. I am going to try this...long story short I CAN import the RGB file with A CMYK ( K Only shadow ) as long as I export as a PDF/X-4 it retains the CMYK values in the PSD file. This is HUGE! I agree the out of Gamut could a problem if its doing the on the fly conversion but my thinking is I should be watching that anyway during the capture. I am really excited to try this ( stuck in a SAG meeting...yawn). And again thanks for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the document mode is CMYK you can spec any CMYK value for the drop shadow you want, but in that case a placed RGB smart object is going to convert into the document's CMYK space. The no conversion option when you save a PDF/X-4 doesn't prevent the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks to everyone for all your help and time. I am going to try this...long story short I CAN import the RGB file with A CMYK ( K Only shadow ) as long as I export as a PDF/X-4 it retains the CMYK values in the PSD file. This is HUGE!

As previously stated: No one can’t do this, not in my experience or in my knowledge and understanding of how things work.

Until you can provide the native source files and output PDF file for examination, the only logical explanation from the info previously provided is user error/misreading of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. This is just not how smart objects work. It's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Try opening the final output PDF into photoshop in CMYK mode and then inspect the drop shadow values, which should be CMYK and not K only. Many people are mislead and confused with the separations feature/eyedropper in Acrobat Pro, it does not always show current values but expected values after a conversion (and a conversion may happen in other software that has different settings and behaviour than Acrobat Pro). The object inspector does show current/actual values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Try opening the final output PDF into photoshop in CMYK mode and then inspect the drop shadow values, which should be CMYK and not K only.

Just to clarify you can make a K only drop shadow if the document's color mode is CMYK, but then an RGB smart object would get converted. By default Acrobat sets the Simulation profile to the PDF/X's output intent, so Separations would show the shadow as K only (if it was spec'd that way) when inspecting an X4 or X-1a from PS. If you rasterize the CMYK PDF back into Photoshop the K only shadow would be unchanged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying it will work? And the rendering intent is screwing with it? You are saying it shows the separations as K only which is what I want. And even rasterizing the PDF will show a K only shadow.

This Is atleast the right idea, 

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: You can take the saved RGB file and convert it back to CMYK, normally this would make the black turn 4 color, it does not it retains the org K only shadow through the conversion. So even a Save as RGB it retains the org smart object CMYK values. SO.... Theoretical or not YOU CAN Have a CMYK In a RGB document that does not change when changing color modes....enclosed is a screen grab and link below of the smart object opened from within the RGB file notice the header says CMYK and it reads CMYK values when you read actual color.  I wouldnt have believed you if you told me BUT I REALLY WANT TO USE IT.

I also know Indesign will only change the RGB object to CMYK but if it had the info stored ( via smart object) as we know the file does could use it

I will get infront of Indesign tomorrow and try it....I will update with results.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.01.40 PM.png

Excuse me I haven't looped back to test this today (12 hours is enough work for one day) but I will tomorrow.  link to the RGB PSD file that shows the CMYK Smart object in a RGB Document....."

DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER - MASS HYSTERIA!!"

- Bill Murray

Test_KShadow.psd - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that it is time for me to bow ouf of the conversation at this point, as I keep repeating meself. :]

The only logical explanation from the info previously provided is user error/misreading of the situation.

Examples follow…

RGB with CMYK Smart Object Placed into InDesign and Exported as PDF/X-1a and Viewed in Acrobat Pro:

X1-seps.png

X1-object.png

RGB with CMYK Smart Object Placed into InDesign and Exported as PDF/X-4 and Viewed in Acrobat Pro:

X4-seps.png

X4-object.png

Although the PDF/X-4 separation values are CMYK (as dictated by the output intent profile) – the object inspector shows that the object is really RGB.

Neither InDesign or Acrobat Pro have any idea that there is a CMYK smart object in the RGB image!

In all cases, the RGB original is treated as an RGB original and is converted from RGB to CMYK as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only logical explanation from the info previously provided is user error/misreading of the situation.

The OP is taking the K reading from the smart object not the composite image, thus the CMYK Actual color.

I don't see the value in jumping through hoops to get the K-only shadow. If the conversion from RGB to  press CMYK is handled well the correct CMYK profile should keep the shadow neutral when it converts to CMY and it will probably look more realistic.

You could save the image and shadow as separate files and assemble them in InDesign and get the RGB image and K-only shadow:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 10.45.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 10.47.16 PM.png

k.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the suggestion....I think my production artists would have a stroke as I do 1000's of pages with alot of images so asking them to place two would cause some WF issues....And I almost guarantee a product would get moved without the shadow and it would go horribly wrong. I was wondering if a K ink only Alpha would work in the RGB file....I will have to try that...I am on a mission to get rid of the crappy CMYK conversion of my product just because of a shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to try that...I am on a mission to get rid of the crappy CMYK conversion of my product just because of a shadow.

What is it about the shadow that needs black only? Would you also demand that other neutral RGB colors in the image output only to the black plate? The male model's shirt is mostly even RGB numbers

Also, because you have made the smart object black only CMYK with a US Web Coated SWOP assignment, it gets placed back into the composite RGB image with a slight color cast. If you take RGB readings of the shadow you'll see that the values are not neutral. Most CMYK profiles pick up the "color" of the black ink so when black only gets converted to RGB the numbers are not even:

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 8.14.49 AM.png

You would be better off making the shadow with a perfectly neutral RGB gray and letting the conversion happen to the correct gray balance via the press profile at output or on export from page layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks the reason the shadow needs to be black only is the line screen is very low, paper very crappy and when they print a 4C shadow banding appears at the drop off, I am not in love with the gray shadow I agree on all points,...my printing doesnt allow for it. We tried it and it was bad...the shadows looked like rainbows. My shadow in the example wasnt one we make it was just for this demo. the files we normally drop are CMYK so they are neutral.

Its weird that Photoshop doesnt make it neutral and adds a slight cast - I have no idea why it would do that...but again didnt want to use RGB shadow wanted to extract the K only like it was created with in the smart object. But great reasons on why it wont work. It was a long shot thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is one of those “exceptions” to the modern late-binding workflow concept, where you do need early binding (a CMYK image with specifically controlled values for a given output condition that is not achievable using other methods). If you require flexibility, you could store the RGB version of the image as a smart object and have the main document CMYK mode with the K only drop shadow. That way you can repurpose the RGB original to different CMYK conditions or use an RGB variant for late binding workflows as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea on the RGB SMART object with A CMYK file...I will try that....I'm assuming the RGB smart object wont screw with the Gamut even though its in a CMYK target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming the RGB smart object wont screw with the Gamut even though its in a CMYK target.

You can't have it both ways. This RGB smart object is out of gamut and its color is previewed in the composite file's CMYK space:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.21.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered there's another option that will work if you have control of the final CMYK conversions. When you make the conversion from RGB to CMYK with a layered smart object document, you are given the choice whether to merge and/or rasterize the layers. That choice will produce different CMYK results. If you choose not to merge or rasterize the smart objects the black only numbers will be preserved. After the conversion you would have the option to flatten the CMYK file and still keep k-only shadows.

So this out-of-gamut RGB file converted without merging will preserve the smart object's k-only values even though the Info panel is showing 4-color. You could have an RGB master and send a customized conversion to the press.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.58.01 PM.png

The conversion to CMYK without merging keeps the k-only shadows.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.42.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO kidding??? This will work?? That would be spectacular!! I cant wait to try this....I knew someone smarter than me could figure it out!! So is there a downside to doing it this way??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines