• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to fix Photoshop Scratch Disks Full Error?

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Photoshop CC on my MacBook Air with macOS Sierra. Every time I attempt to open Photoshop through any means, the following message appears: "Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full", and Photoshop does not open. I tried clearing space from my Mac in general including several GB worth of apps and removing several cache files, but nothing seems to work. I also tried holding down the command and option keys to reveal the Scratch Disk Preferences, and it lets me select the Startup and MacIntosh HD. Again, nothing worked. Anyone know how to fix this message, and/or clear scratch disk space?Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.36.51 PM.png

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title PS-65057}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

This is super late, but for anyone else who runs into this issue...Similar thing happened to me. Do you make new files by pixel size or by inches? I usually go by pixels (ex: 2500x3000 or something like that), but I apparently I had accidentally switched to inches and it would only let me max the numbers to 1000. Went back to pixels and it all worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the scratch disk issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article which can help you to resolve the "Scratch disk is full" error: Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 328 Replies 328
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What doesn't work? Please be detailed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop won't start because my scratch disc is full. It says I can change the scratch disc by pressing Command-Option while launching it. But that doesn't work. Photoshop sees no other scratch discs even though I have an 8Tb disc nearly empty and ready to go.

Now I can't use Photoshop. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What OS are you using ? Mac or Windows

Is the external drive formatted for the right OS you are using ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

It should be I can read and write on it. I am using Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In preferences , there is a Tab for Scratch disk,  Drive " I " in the shot below is my external Hard drive

Extrenal Disck.png

Extrenal Disck2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem of the external SSD not showing as an option. I have reset PS preferences, the HD is formatted to ExFAT and it still wont show as an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue.  I used to be able to choose my External Hard drive for my Scratch Disk - but it no longer allows me.  *Yes I know I only have 6.02GB of free space left.

I'm running a Mac Book Pro using Creative Cloud.  Photoshop Version 20.0.6

Any ideas appreciated.  🙂

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 09.06.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what is happening to me as well. Did you find an answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yesenial, you use Disk Utility to format disks in macOS. ALL INFO ON THE DISK WILL BE LOST FOREVER. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lmrw, why did you format as exFAT?

Neil, how is your disk formatted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are HEAVEN sent. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Photoshop as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open photoshop because it says scratch disk full. I know of the shortcut (ctrl+alt) and have used it before to set my scratch disk to almost empty drives. I've tried the same thing again as photoshop is starting up but it does nothing and i still get the "scratch disks full" error message. It has opened in the past so I don't know what happened. I need this to work for school in a couple of weeks so any help is appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Start Photoshop immediately press and hold Shift+Alt+Ctrl. If done in time Photoshop should pop up a dialog asking if you want to delete your preferences. Reply yes delete them.  Photoshop should then open using an new set of Adobe default preferences. If your system startup disk is full Photoshop may no start for there need to be free space on the drive tor Temp files and scratch space,  You system performance  will be poor not what it should be.  Your OS new to use temp space too.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Suddenly PS won't launch and gives me a series of scratch disk errors but my disks aren't full. (LR and other programs run fine)

So before I delete my preferences where are they so I can make a copy of them. The idea of having to recreate all my settings is not that appealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding down Ctrl+ALT and keep them held down and start Photoshop.  You should be able to  then change Photoshop's scratch disk configuration.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I was able to launch it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah except when I did Ctrl + ALT I now realize I lost all my prefs, keyboard shortcuts and customization etc. hence my question to where that was located to make a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should not have happened.  It sounds like you reset your preferences. Did you get this popup starting Photoshop while holding Alt+Ctrl? I changed mine fron C:\ to F:\ still has all my settings.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a system bbackup you user Id Photoshop preferences are stored in the following file system tree. Normally a hidden folder.

Use you ID not mine

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's what I got but somehow it affected my prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTRL + ALT worked for me thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Shift+Alt+Ctrl and it didnt work, the other way didnt work either, I tried it many times, the scratch disk message just keep popping up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines