• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PREMIERE & G-RAID: CAN THEY PLAY WELL TOGETHER?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cutting a feature doc with Premiere, and in many ways it's great. Handling various formats, ease of title creation and adjustments. Interaction with photoshop and AfterEffects. Great.

But...when it comes down the actual nitty gritty of editing -- moving in and out of source clips, trimming -- or even just moving through timelines, I'm getting lots and lots of headaches, pauses, drives spinning...

Most frustrating is when I'll be playing a clip in a timeline. Pause then go to play the clip again 1 second later, and now I'm forced to wait 30 seconds for ALL of my G-Raid's to flash and spin and do something so that this clip that was playing perfectly well a moment ago can resume.

This is frustration #1 -- something is happening wherein my drives are holding things up, their flashing, spinning, and I'm waiting. I'm not sure what they're doing but it's grinding the cutting down to a halt. Any solutions out there? G-Drive is telling me the issue is not with them because the drives are made to "never turn off," but something is rotten in Denmark.

Any advice? Is it a Premiere setting, is it a hidden drive setting? Is it voodoo?  Thank you in advance!!!

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to find out what is actually happening within your system is to use Bill Gehrke's PPBM8 testing setup.

You download his zipped testing folder, install the monitoring applets included, load the included project file into PrPro, and "export" ... all following specific instructions. Upload all the resultant log files, and you get back a very specific report ... GPU and CPU performance, read/write performance, everything. Doesn't take too long to do and gives very concrete results.

http://ppbm8.com/index.html

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil!

Since you are a big G-RAID user are you Mac Based?  PPBM does not support Mac.  If it is PC what is the computer interface to the G-RAID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the attempt but yes I'm Mac based. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run some tests on your G-Raid's to see what the performance really is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Mac with Premiere and a G-Raid should work just fine.

How much disk space is free on your Macintosh HD?  If it's less than 10%, that could be an issue.  Try to keep at least 20% of the boot drive capacity free at all times.

How much disk space is free on you G-Raid?  If it's less than 10%, that could be an issue. G-Raid will tell you that you can go up to about 95% capacity and not lose bandwidth, but I'd still try to keep at least 15% to 20% free.

How is the G-Raid connected to the iMac?  You may already be aware that Thunderbolt or FireWire are your best choices.

What are your Energy Saver settings?  Make sure that the drives are not going to sleep.

Have you run Disk Utility recently?  If not, run it on all of your drives and repair any issues that may be present. 

Have your run Repair Disk Permissions recently?  If you're running a recent version of macOS that does not allow you to do this, consider purchasing TechTool Pro for this.

What anti-virus software are you running?  If nothing, Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac or Malewarebytes are good choices (and free).

If none of the above helps, create an external boot drive with just the macOS and Premiere Pro installed to test for a software conflicts.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines