• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Step functionality in Oracle Forms?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am testing Captivate for possibility to capture test scenarios for testing in Oracle. I know Captivate has the ability to create auto steps from Internet Explorer to automatically create captions that contain text describing your actions.

Is this functionality available in Oracle Forms? I have tested it many times and Captivate seems to only be able to create auto steps from the browser and not create any from Oracle. It still captures everything properly, but not the auto steps. We are planning on printing these steps for ease of the user, and thus would like to have the steps in writing as well.

This is what the Captivate Help file says about Auto Text: "Use the AutoText Captions feature to automatically create captions that contain text describing your actions. Customize the appearance, size, orientation, position, and display speed of captions, including font, size, color, and text formatting. Before recording, choose the caption type and language, or create and import your own caption style. Adobe Captivate 3 generates caption text in many languages."

Thanks a lot.

-Zeb
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have a solution for this?

I called Adobe Sales yesterday, which transferred me to support, which said they would call me back in an hour, ...and didn't. I have not worked closely with Adobe's support before, but I would like an answer to this as it is a large piece of functionality that would be very useful to what we are trying to accomplish. I cannot see why this would not work as it is a Java application which Oracle lives in. :-)

Any advice would be great.

Thanks everyone!

-Zeb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Zeb

At first, you really bowled me a wobbly with the description of "auto step functionality".

It's been my experience that Captivate's ability to properly recognize elements of an application are pretty much hit and miss. To be honest, I'm surprised that it does as well as it does. But that's with normal desktop applications. Toss in something that's browser based (as your situation seems to be) and I'm surprised it works at all.

I'm sort of stabbing in the dark here, as I'm not an application programmer. But I'd guess that what is happening is Captivate is only sensing an object in the browser and it has no idea as to how to interpret the fields and whatnot that make up the object.

I know it's a nice feature when it works. However, I do hope you are aware that you aren't limited to what Captivate gives you with this. You are totally able to insert your own Text Captions at any time on any slide by clicking Insert > Text Caption.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hey Rick,

How's it going? Thanks for the heads up about Captivate. I can see how that would be an issue where it does not pick up on what is happening in Oracle. However, I do not understand this if it is mainly a standard Oracle application.

The part that would make this feature nice is that we have ~100 test scripts to go through and auto-steps this would make that a lot more simple. -given we will be printing these as well. :-)

I guess I will have to do it the ol' fashioned way: "I know it's a nice feature when it works. However, I do hope you are aware that you aren't limited to what Captivate gives you with this. You are totally able to insert your own Text Captions at any time on any slide by clicking Insert > Text Caption."

I am in the process of talking to Adobe support, ...if they would call me back. Anyone else have trouble with that?

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it a lot. Have a good one!

-Zeb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources