• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool not working all of a sudden

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5 on my mac.  Just yesterday my move tool stopped working.

When I add for example, a stone to a new layer and select the move tool, the square appears around the stone.

when i try to move the stone, nothing happens.  I can resize it, but not move it.

i am on the correct layer.

I had no problem doing this before.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Hi Sandra

I'm slightly puzzled as, with Auto-Select unchecked then the Group/Layer option does nothing.

If the issue re-occurs with Auto-Select still unchecked try resetting the move tool :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandra

Could it be that you have auto-select layer switched on in the options bar and are trying to drag a transparent section of your layer?

If not, can you show a screenshot including your toolbar and options bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

thank you for responding.

because of your comment, i looked at the option bar.  i did not have auto select layer switched on, but i have Group vs Layer on.

now that i changed to group, it works.--at least for now!!

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandra

I'm slightly puzzled as, with Auto-Select unchecked then the Group/Layer option does nothing.

If the issue re-occurs with Auto-Select still unchecked try resetting the move tool :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

thank you!  i did what you said and it works!!

i learned something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave--help!

i reset the tool and now i don't get the box around the pixels. i can move the whole thing, but i cannot resize it!!

any suggestions?

i could attach a screenshot,but i don't know how to attach the file to my reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandra

To get the box back - check "Show Transform Controls " in the options bar for the move tool.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! it works now. 

I  wonder what i had done that was out of whack.

thank you Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

When I use the move tool and drag a photo form one tab (Tab B) to the destination (Tab A) within PS nothing happens. Here are the steps I am taking.

Move Tool, click on photo in Tab B, drag move tool to Tab A. After a few seconds, the view on PS changes from Tab B to Tab A but the photo does not appear as a layer within Tab A. I followed the steps above and no luck.

The photo in Tab A is a RAW file. The photo in Tab B is a jpg.

Adobe PS CC 2017.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Y

You have missed a step

Move Tool, click on photo in Tab B, drag move tool to Tab A. After a few seconds, the view on PS changes from Tab B to Tab A. Whilst still holding down the mouse drag down over the image in Tab A and release

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boom! And just like that, problem solved.

Thank you Dave. Have a great day (or evening).

Rafael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, I have Windows and I have installed Abode PS, I cant drag the circle that has text on the picture as background. I have tried all these experiences ypu hve wrote , also the reset and nothing happens. Any help for Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm not sure which circle you mean. Can you show a screenshot and describe further what it is you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a Mac and have tried all of the above solutions without avail. The Marquee tool will select the image I'm trying to cut and drag to a separate tab, but it only shows the dotted outline when I drag it to the second tab. Any additional help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add to this as I was having this problem of the move tool resizing box not appearing all of a sudden. For me, I just had something selected from the wand/marquee tool that must have been so small that I couldn't see it. I hit CTRL+D to deselect and my move box reappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That worked for me and was much easier than the other suggestions - but then while I continued working the same issue kept recurring one in a while. While I love this quick tip I find the whole issue unsatsifactory and I woukld mark this discussion "unresolved" if I could. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines