• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banner removal around heads

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use some dated (and originally bad) photographs (e.g. ten years) on my website that shows members of my Special Olympics team receiving awards.  The problem is they are positioned in front of a banner that has advertising, which is sometimes not appropriate for the team. 

I’d like to remove the banner or cover it up but I’ve not been successful at making it look like I haven’t carved a hole in the photo, removed someone’s nose, or slapped some paint (badly) over the signage.  I’ve tried content aware, I’ve used the lasso to mark areas and then paint over them, I’ve blurred and smudged – but the truth is I’m not sure what I’m doing is the right thing.

Ideally, I’d like to lift the people from the photo, paint the sign without having to work around hairdos, and then put the people back – without making it overly obvious that I’ve made adjustments.  Thoughts?

2006 Winner 2a.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

I had to do a load of these recently.  The backdrop was nowhere near big enough, but they insisted on using it, I had to select the subjects in 20 odd photographs, and place on a new background.  It seemed to me that if you were going to that much trouble, then you might as well use a good background, so I constructed all the sponsor and participating club logos, and made a photo wall.

Unfortunately, I missed a typo, but it's at times like this you learn to really love Smart Objects and CC Librar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that the photo you are working from? with that resolution you ability to capture a nice edge of only the people is rough..

There will be many advices on what to do.. like they say "there is more than one road to Rome"

I think that making a mask, zooming in and painting would be a nice way for you to control the masking/extraction of the people.

i would go slow, zoom in and out, and paint in the mask what you want out or in so you have what you need to place them in a solid color background/ paint out the banner with the same color as the wall.

Thats my two cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I hadn't thought about masking a little at a time -- I'll give it a try!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As mentioned a higher res image would be better - but try masking the banner then painting on a new layer clipped to the mask as below.

Don't forget the shadows

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ideas!  Sadly the photo was taken years before I was involved with the team, and this is all with which I have to work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just roll up the sleeves and go slow and easy on it . zoom in and zoom out so you can see as you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the wall color, add a bit of noise to match.MaxthonSnap20170908111655.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks nice!  Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xmas.jpg

Considering the image size and quality, any type of salvage job will be daunting and less than totally successful.

The layers panel spells out the method here. In addition, more can be done, such as adding texture to the wall.

1. Duplicate the layer

2. Selection of the area between the blue borders

3. Quick Selection tool and work on the wall in sections

4. Composite of the three wall selections

5. Combined the balance of the wall, filled with a flat color for contrast with the subjects. 

I hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that can really help with Layer Masks is to use the Smudge tool and blur tool on the edges of the hair. Choose the smudge tool, select a textured brush, perhaps a sponge brush would work well. Smudge the edhes with light, short brush strokes, preferably with a pen and tablet. Then go over the edge with the blur tool. You can toggle between the layer view and the layer mask view by alt-clicking o the layer mask.

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do a load of these recently.  The backdrop was nowhere near big enough, but they insisted on using it, I had to select the subjects in 20 odd photographs, and place on a new background.  It seemed to me that if you were going to that much trouble, then you might as well use a good background, so I constructed all the sponsor and participating club logos, and made a photo wall.

Unfortunately, I missed a typo, but it's at times like this you learn to really love Smart Objects and CC Libraries.  The offending SO was edited from the Library, each PSD file opened, and an action made that meant 'Updated All Modified Objects' could be run from a single 'G' key on my Logitech gaming keyboard.  Each instance of the typo was fixed in about two seconds, and re-saved to JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dennis -- and everyone else for your advice.  Not only do I have this photo with which to work but i have another 15 just like them.  I've used everyone's advice - masking, blurring, smudging, copy and replace, content aware and it's sooooo time consuming.  Worst yet, when I put out a call for good quality photos from years gone by I received more than 100 photos - 99 percent of which are the like the one I shared here  -  or worse.  I do like the idea of creating a new background and will use many of the techniques recommended to fine tune it.  I really appreciate everyone's responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Dennis -- and everyone else for your advice.  Not only do I have this photo with which to work but i have another 15 just like them.  I've used everyone's advice - masking, blurring, smudging, copy and replace, content aware and it's sooooo time consuming.  Worst yet, when I put out a call for good quality photos from years gone by I received more than 100 photos - 99 percent of which are the like the one I shared here  -  or worse.  I do like the idea of creating a new background and will use many of the techniques recommended to fine tune it.  I really appreciate everyone's responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines